Bucking Problem

Jeremy_K

I have a 90 xr-7 with 85k miles on it. once every 100 miles or so the car will start bucking very violently at any speed. i pull over, turn it off and restart it and it runs just fine. Also, my tach only works about 50% of the time. usually when the tach isn't working, the oil change idiot light isn't working either. i'd appreciate any info on these probs. thanx

Yep.

I second that, definitly cam sensor. But also, on my 89 xr7, my tach would drop and 3-4 minutes later the oil part of the vmm did too. After replacing the cam sensor, it cured it for about 2 weeks with no problems. All of the sudden, BANG! it is back. Put heat grease under my DIS module, never had the problem again. So I guess what I am saying is, try the heat grease first. What, a $1.50 at radio shack? If not, then the cam sensor is only like 25-30 bucks. Good Luck.

Joe

I agree with that as well. Just be sure that you use Heat-Sink compound and not Dielectric Grease.....

tried heatsink compound

it figures, a $1.99 at radio shack didn't fix the problem. i put a nice thick layer underneath the DIS module and it didn't fix it. so much for taking the easy way out. new cam sensor and plugs & wires next week.

An ounce of prevention.....

The heat-sink compound may not have fixed this problem, but it probably prevented a DIS failure sometime down the road.....

BTW, what kind of plugs do you have in your ride? If it is anything less than MotorCraft or AutoLite Double Platinums, that could be the problem......Bosch are a no-no.........

If you have good plugs, try the Cam Sensor first, it's much easier than changing plugs (cheaper too). If that doesn't fix it, you have a spare. (you'll need it eventually)

I already bought a new cam sensor. I also bought motorcraft wires and autolite double platinum plugs. now all i need is some time to do it. probably this week sometime. thanks for your responses they seem pretty consistent so wish me luck.

Back