The Best Tires ?

San Diego Scott

Who has found the perfect tire for Daily Driver / Freeway use?

I want a set that gives both a comfortable ride PLUS good performance handling? I just put some Yokohama's on. Excellent smooth ride but sidewalls are too soft (like Jello) so the car can't corner or change lanes without "sloshing" sideways.

Goodyears were too stiff (felt every groove in the Freeway).

Thanks for your input!

I liked my old Dunlops, I believe they were SP5000. They had great wear and were pretty sticky, they also had a pretty good ride. I switched over to Bridgestone Potenza's and wear went down but they were pretty sticky for lateral accel and also made a little more noise and tracked everything on the highway. Might want to look into a high performance all season or touring tire for what your looking for.

What model of Yokohama ? What model of Goodyear ? There are so many different ones, we need to know that to give you a more specific recommendation.

Are these stock size you're looking for, or to go on larger aftermarket wheels ??

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

FOR STOCK USE ALL WEATHER.
I have been using Michelin X-ones 225/60-R16 100 k tread wear quiet and stiff enough for the 180km highway runs when needed. Beware though they are only T rated 190 km limit. the factory rated tire for my 91 XR7 is supposed to be 225/60-ZR16. I really like these tires and will be replacing shortly with the same.

I'm running Yokohama Avid S/T's 245x60-15 front and 255x60-15 rear on 15x7 wheels. I absolutely love them. They seem to have great tread wear, incredible traction, and I don't experience any sidewall roll or "sloshing".

-Rod

Look at the Michelin Sport A/S ... The extra is worth it. Best traction & feel I have experienced... I've had the Pilot XGT Z4's and they weren't as nice as these.

Anthony

Hello

Hello,
I have had the following tires and have enjoyed them all.
Pirelli PZero, Dunlop SP9000, and the Michelin Pilot Sport.
If you have extra Scratch it sure is a good idea to spend it on good tires.
Laterz,
D Rainer

My tire size is stock P225/60R-16 1992 SC

Tires tried and disatisfied...
General XP 2000 A4 @ $84 ea.
Goodyear Eagle RH @ $89 ea.
Yokohama YK420 @ $109 ea.

When I had a 88 Mustang GT I was running Michelin XGTV's and loved them. I don't believe those are available any more.

Perhaps a Vote is in order ?

Dunlops SP5000 - pretty sticky, they also had a pretty good ride
Michelin X-ones 225/60-R16 - will be replacing shortly with the same
Yokohama Avid S/T's - incredible traction, no sidewall roll or "sloshing"
Michelin Sport A/S - Best traction & feel I have experienced
Pirelli Pzero - enjoyed them all
Dunlop SP9000 - enjoyed them all
Michelin Pilot Sport - enjoyed them all
bfgoodrich gforce KD -have soooo much grip
Toyo Proxes T1-S - excellent handling and ohh the treads....

I'll 2nd the Dunlop SP5000's. Good quiet ride, sticky and best wet weather performance I've had so far.

Dunlop SP Sport 5000

Currently, I have a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000 P255/50ZR-16. I like them a lot! They are pretty sticky and the ride is smooth.

Thomas

hey guys, i'm looking for tires right now also. i'm going to try the nitto 555's. have any of you guys tried those?
-kris

TIRES...

Well it is no secret that alotta the larger tire makers also make the not so popular name brands as well...For instance...I got a set of Dunlop SP5000 and love them, and the rears went alot quicker than the fronts did...Anyway I needed a pair...My Dad is a Tire business owner and he turned me on to the Sumitomo HPZ, since it is made by Dunlop and has alot of the same charectoristics of the SP5000....I got them and I really like the looks fo them...They are ALOT less money than the Dunlop with the same rubber stats...Kinda makes ya go Hmmmmm...

Anyways...There are alotta great tires out there for less money with equal performance if ya find a knowledgable tire business man...

Cheers

Brad

Cooper...

IMO they make a great tire....If ya like the looks of them and the price is right I say put them on and let us know how ya like them...

Brad

Michilen X ones lasted longer than all the other tires I tried. In fact I still have two sitting in my garage. With the 17 x 9 wheels, I'm using Nittos which are okay.

For a good price and performance...look at Falkens.

David

Falken also.

I have Falken FK-451's in front @ 225/50/16 and Nitto NT 450 in the back @ 245/50/16.

The Falkens are awesome, mine are ZR rated and have virtually no bulge, but it makes them kinda look like 205mm wide instead LOL. but they also have a rim protetor sidewall. The rubber sticks past the rim lip at the lip which is great for curbs and such.

The Nitto's in back are good also for VR rated, but I'm still experimenting with rear tires. You know how SC's are hehehe. but otherwise, I like the tread pattern and they are good so far.

but I'm going to make my stock sc rims winter/track tires and get a 18" set someday for show. I live in WA and the Falkens look like they flow water pretty good to me so I might get them all around. Good luck man.

L8a

Back