3.55 gears in an 89 SC 5spd, is it too much gear?

phils89sc

I have a line on a set of 3.55 gears for my 89 SC. I think the ratio from the factory is a pathetic 2.73:1, talk about cruising gears!! Anyway, I know for a 5.0 Stang, 3.55's were just about the way to do, 3.73's for the auto. My SC is a stick, and I just want to know if they may be too much? I like quick off the line, not high speed. I do most of my driving locally and not on the highway. Also, Which speedo gear would I have to get?

Thanks

Phil Stocker

This seems to be more an issue of preference. Some think 2.73's are perfect, others think the 3.73's are just right. In my opinion, 3.27's are about the max that I would want to go on an early 5 speed SC. Our trans has a shorter first gear than the Mustang T-5 which would explain why they might run a numerically higher rear gear ratio and still be okay. I would stick with 3.27's. Much higher numerically than that and first gear becomes kind of useless.

gears

mine is an 89 5 spd.I have 327's.perfect except 1st gear could be a little taller.I think I'm quicker 0-60 starting in 2nd and slipping the clutch and not having to shift this balky Mazda trans.

i tried 3.55s in with a 89/93 trans and first is too low - you run out of gear too fast (ratios are like a wide ratio top loader). i would not go more than 3.27s. i use a 94/95 trans in my 91 sc and 3.55s work great (3.73 would probably be ok too but speedo gears may be a issue) because the 94/95 trans is more like a close ratio top loader.

Back