June 14th meet info update

onequiksc

I met up with Kurt K last night in Orlando (he was there on business for the week) and we cruised down to I-Drive to have a look-see for possible places to have a gathering of SC's. We stumbled on a parking lot in the rear of a block of businesses, Eckerd Drugs being the exact business address we wrote down. This lot is very big, and there were very few cars parked in it, since the attatched buildings/ businesses also have some parking in front of the stores.

It seems like we'd be unobtrusive there, no one to bother us and vice-versa. Theres a back part of the lot that butts up to a vacant field where there's plenty of room for even 15 +cars to spread out and park. Whether we'd draw any attention there is unknown, but it's the most remote place we could find. Some of you may be familiar with I-Drive and know it's a damn busy area, so it's tough to find places like that.

If anyone has other ideas, speak up. This could be something to fall back onto at least if we can't come up with a better meeting place.

It's about 10 minutes to Race Rock from there, although traffic on a Saturday might take a bit longer. If everyone thinks a longer SC caravan trip to Race Rock would be better, just say so, and we can do some more research and try to find another spot farther away. Waterford Lakes as Bryan mentioned is a good possibility, not sure how far that is exactly though.

As of now at least it's a possibility. I'll post the exact address and direction/details if we determine we want to use it. DAN H

Last edited:
Hey Dan, Waterford is way out on the eastern most part of the city by Bryan and me and a couple of others. It's out by UCF and that area. Long drive back to Race Rock for most... You guys are right that it would be easier for you guys from out of town to come down to some place around I-Drive.... I'm game for the back parking lot... Did their seem to be an exclusive shop in that center that we might ask permission to park... Because of the street racing the Orlando police and the Orange county Sherrif's office have been hassling a few groups of parked cars.... Might be better to at least let them know we aren't setting up to drag down their back parking lots or anything...

Anyway I'm game for where ever you guys want to meet... Makes no difference to me, it's just GAS and time, I'm just looking forward to the get together!!...

RJ

Ok :) so someone is doing some homework here. Dan please post the address so I can do a Map Quest to get an idea where on I-drive this place is. The only concern I have with I-drive is the tourist factor. Mid June on I-drive in Orlando(#1 tourist destination in the US) may not be much fun. The advantage Waterford Lakes would have is no tourists, close to restaurants (many located in the plaza), and close to Orlando Speed World. We need some more input from others here.
Here is a pic of my car earlier this year at Waterford Lakes Mustang Round up:
mn12sc.jpg

Last edited:
First: I just want to thank Dan for making the trip down to Orlando to visit me while I'm here on business. I really enjoyed talking cars, women, houses, TV's and travel. Anyway, thanks again Dan.

Second: Down to business. It doesn't really matter to me what we do, as I will be here on the start of a 1 week vacation and would just like to meet up with some SC owners. We did a similar meet like this several years ago and it was a lot of fun. And yes, we met at the now defunct Malibu GP, but I don't remember actually leaving the side of our cars to go and ride the carts or play games. My point being, that in my past experience, usually we only need a place to park to have fun.

If you guys wish to plan a meet around days at the track, that's fine. I don't expect everyone to cater to my plans. I will be available to meet people on June 14th anywhere in central Florida.

Hey guys, I'll be coming from Jacksonville, so I'm sure the east side of Orlando will be better for me. I hope that's not too selfish of me. Anyway. I'm looking forward to meeting up with a group of SC people. I've got a ton of questions and will be looking for alot of advice and technical support.

Thanks again to you Kurt, I had a blast. Anytime you're in town I'm there....

As far as the location Kurt and I found, it's behind the Eckerd Drug store at 7324 International Drive. It's basically a strip commercial building with many shops in front, and the parking lot behind it is about ~football field size, and was 90% unused the evening we were there. As far as cops and such go, I can't say whether anyone would have a dilly about it, no one was around at all, so someone would have to complain first for the cops to even know we were there. There's no visibility from I-Drive to the lot at all, and the very back of the lot was quite remote. Unless we sat there frying tires in clouds of smoke (always fun but admittedly counterproductive for not attracting unwanted attention) I would doubt anyone would get on our case at all. But then, I'm only assuming...

Now, we also have to realize, as Brad has said and knows from setting these meets up previously-we're never gonna please everyone. As far as east Orlando /Waterford lakes goes, that's fine for me too. Whether I have to drive an hour and fifteen or an hour and 45 for a perhaps 1x a year event is of no consequence, but that's only me. I fully understand it's harder the farther away you are. But for the folks from Jax or Tampa etc. does that mean they then won't want to make the drive over to Race Rock after? We all have to decide if that's the final destination for dinner, doesn't matter to me either way, but we need to vote I guess, because if we do Waterford lakes, then eating close by that area makes sense too.

If no one is married to the Race Rock as the last stop for dinner, then we need plan B for that. I know Waterford is full of them, so some suggestions are in order.

Remember though, you go east, the people from the west coast/Sarasota (Brad) and such have it harder too, I just think ANYWHERE in Orlando should suffice for all. Hell, we have one guy willing to drive up from THE KEYS!!! Ungawah!

Lastly, one final idea. We can always meet at Race Rock, BS a bit take a cruise together around that area and see the sights, come back to R.R , then eat there.

Same for Waterford. We just need a consensus. Let's hash it out and decide.

P.S. Reason I wanted this topic moved to the chapter forum is, I know everyone else conducts their local business in their respective forums, and not on Non-Tech, since that's why they were created. I would hate for us to get emails from a moderator asking us to do so, and I didn't want to wear out our welcome over there. But the thread is already there, so it's no biggie... It was great posting it there initially, to get this place up and running again, but at least now we know where to look for Florida related stuff. A nice change.

Last edited:
I agree with Tbird93SC, as long as we're visible. I didn't realize that weekend I'll already be down at Universal Studios with my family, so east or west doesn't matter to me either.

Well we need a little more constructive input from others here. Like Dan, I’m not married to either location. The only reason I even mentioned Waterford Lakes Town Center is because it is away from the tourist area, close to Speed World, large parking lot, several chain restaurants, and I’m somewhat familiar with it. But the setting doesn’t matter to me one way or another. Were just going to check out each other’s cars and B.S about them in general. The location Dan has scoped out has a lower profile than the fore mentioned. This may very well be a good thing not attracting too much attention.

More input…………..

Waterford Lakes Town Center Link

We are just all to aggreeable aren't we.... I'm the same as everyone else.... I was just throwing my 2 cents in.... either side is good for me... I'm like Superchicken, waterford would be less tourist oriented and probably more exposier oriented to park and BS... And I'm with dan let's try to keep this in our forum area rather than the non-technical... Suggest someone put a comment on the other post to see this post....

Ok, I wasn't aware some may want a "higher profile" for people to see us, that's fine with me, though it doesn't matter to me either. Remember, that can work against us if the rent-a -cops or the law see the gathering in a higher profile parking lot and want to hassle us. This happens to the Embry Riddle guys (ERMCA) when they try to meet in daytona. Also realize, any cruise/caravan we take from wherever will garner mucho attention from the public. But, we can always try and if we get asked to leave wherever, that's life...But I digress...

I was thinking a bit last night, that in the future, I'd like to scope out some of the recreation areas, and lakes ( Lake Emma, Eola for example) around Orlando (which i'm presently totally unfamiliar with) for a common area with parking/trees etc. that would suit the bill as a nice place to just park and BS. I will work on this, and maybe take a drive with the wifus over there to get some ideas this summer.It's really refreshing to have interest in SC meets again in Central Florida, because it's been pretty vapid in the last few years. No one's fault at all, just the way things were.
For now, I suppose we'll have to decide by the first week of June, so we do have a little time to think it through and field any new suggestions. We know what we have to offer presently, and they're not bad choices, but maybe some legwork /web work can turn up an even better alternative. I'll get busy.

I say we give it a couple more weeks and see what we got, then take a vote. We just need to ask ourselves; does the vote need to be unanimous or just majority?

I don't care if I get my way because...I don't even have one, lol. I just want to meet, doesn't matter where. That we all can agree on.

My 2 cents goes to Waterford Lakes Town Center. I don't like tourist's and I like traffic congestion even less. But, that's just me.

SuperChicken89 said:
Here is a pic of my car earlier this year at Waterford Lakes Mustang Round up:
mn12sc.jpg

I still can't believe I missed you car at that meet..... Make me want to go get glasses for crying out loud!!! I seen the Barcardi Mustang and missed the SC.... Man!!!

onequiksc said:
Ok, I wasn't aware some may want a "higher profile" for people to see us, that's fine with me, though it doesn't matter to me either.

Ok Dan, Mr. Modesty!!! Listen to you, my car is a 95 and I'm afraid to park in the public eye next to that "model of perfection" of yours!!! Makes mine look too bad... :D God I love that black mirror on wheels of yours!!! I clipped a copy of it, and have it with Brad's and a couple of others for my desktop!!! With the caption "This is what it's all about!!!"

Just wait till the 35th gets done!!! No, never mind won't even come close, but at least I wont' feel ashamed to park it in the same parking lot with you guys!!

RJ

Well, thanks RJ, I wasn't trying to be self-effacing there honestly, I meant it in a different way - that the general public's attention to us wasn't what I was interested in per se, just the SC guys and our admiration of each other's cars was what I was looking for in a meet.

Never worry about what condition your car is presently in because to us, they are all pretty cool cars, good paint, bad paint, dents, we've all been there at some time. Besides, I know your master plan will give you perhaps 2 pristine SC's eventually, that will make mine look drab. I'll even help if I can. :) TTYL

i like the parking lot and race rock idea hidden or not yes its a tourist area but what area down here isnt plus who here doesnt like to see 10+ SC's cruising down the street
i was looking at the OSW schedule they are having their regular Saturday events and its not a open session test and tune going there watching the races is ok if some people wanted to try their luck at bracket racing thats fine but the time trials start at 3:30 and elimns start at 6:30 so if you ask me thats out
I will drive any where i dont care i drove 16 hours to Carlisle 4 years in a row driving doesnt bother me i love sitting in this car :)

just my $.02
Brad

now that i said all that i was reading my import mag and hot import nights is the same night at the convention center down the street from race rock so i say thats out because rr is going to be packed
there is a park off the same road as the track which isnt far from waterford lakes if going east on colonial(or whatever it is out there) its a couple lights west of the road that would take you to waterford lakes we went there for a altima meet a couple years ago and it wasent a bad spot but im not sure of the name or exact directions but this way we can meet then cruise some where

Brad

Brad,
I think the park you are referring to is Lake Downey Park . This is a good idea! Somewhat of a central location and easy to get to by Hwy 50 or the 408 expressway. After Dan's reply a few days ago recommending a park, I started thinking about a park to meet in. The only ones I'm familiar with are Lake Red Bug Park and Central Winds Park which both are local to me. But lake Downey Park is a better location. Easy access, well shaded, and close to many restaurants. Let’s see what others think.

Bryan

I like it. If anyone can pinpoint a spot inside the park we can all find easy, i'm sold.

I'll look into it too when I get a chance, right now i'm off to work.

Back