Fuel Pressure Gauge

The schrader is a 1/16" pipe or a 5/16" taper thread. (I found the 5/16" taper thread tap at a place that makes minature models.) I had a block made to attach to the fuel rail and to hold both the scrader valve and VDO fuel pressure gauge.

The AutoMeter part # 3280 ($7.95 at Summit Racing) is the correct adapter to put a 1/8" pipe thead into the spot where the schrader valve goes. Most of the small fuel pressure gauges are 1/8" pipe thread. Summit also makes a fluid damped fuel pressure gauge, as well as many other guage makers.

AutoMeter 1/16" to 1/8" adapter

3275_3276.jpg

autometer came out with new gauges this year. They are 1 1/2" sport comp pressure guages. I got a 0-60psi, chrome bezel with silver face, or chrome bezel with black face. They were cheap too....only cost me $27 plus the 7 bucks for that adapter. Here are the numbers i used.

Sport Comp. gauge: 2179
Adapter 1/16" - 1/8" :3280

It looks sweet. Very happy with it, and a great price.
2179.jpg

nice....did you buy the parts I gave you? Looks like mine except mine has a silver face and i sat it 90*. I couldn't find a 45* that was 1/8th NTP at the time. Looks sharp.

fastsc92, Yes I bounght the above parts, plus a 45 degree brass fitting.
The brass fitting was 1/8 inch .Cost $0.98.

The guage would not fit with out the 45 degree fitting.It would hit the
IC nut.

blown II, Just buy the above parts plus a 45 degree brass fitting.
screw the brass fitting onto the fitting on the right above,Then
screw the guage and fittings on to the schrader valve.

THANKS gldiii & fastsc92 for the infor.

Last edited:
I'm installing a gauge as well and have two questions:
1) Is it okay if the brass elbow is not marked NPT?
2) Should I use PTFE (Teflon) thread tape for all fittings?

Paul

Randy N Connie said:
fastsc92, Yes I bounght the above parts, plus a 45 degree brass fitting.
The brass fitting was 1/8 inch .Cost $0.98.

The guage would not fit with out the 45 degree fitting.It would hit the
IC nut.

blown II, Just buy the above parts plus a 45 degree brass fitting.
screw the brass fitting onto the fitting on the right above,Then
screw the guage and fittings on to the schrader valve.

THANKS gldiii & fastsc92 for the infor.

1. ALL screwed pipe fittings are NPT. Since were in the great age of imports many of those co.'s do not cast NPT into the fittings any longer, a panny saved is a dollar more they can charge you.
2. Yes, but I dont like tape on fuel lines. When you screw the pipe or gage into the fittings with tape small shreds of tape have a tendancy to fall down into the pipe. Those little shreds can end up stuck in the injector screens.
Use a sparing amount of paste sealant. Dont use much because regardless of the fact they call it thread sealant thats not really the job of most of those thread dopes. You just want a very small amount in this case to lubricate the threads so they do not gall and will tighten up leak free.

Thread sealant....does Permatex make that? I don't recall seeing that before. Also, I'm assuming is is different than anti-seize compound since it is a sealant of sorts?

MIKE 38sc said:
1. ALL screwed pipe fittings are NPT. Since were in the great age of imports many of those co.'s do not cast NPT into the fittings any longer, a panny saved is a dollar more they can charge you.
2. Yes, but I dont like tape on fuel lines. When you screw the pipe or gage into the fittings with tape small shreds of tape have a tendancy to fall down into the pipe. Those little shreds can end up stuck in the injector screens.
Use a sparing amount of paste sealant. Dont use much because regardless of the fact they call it thread sealant thats not really the job of most of those thread dopes. You just want a very small amount in this case to lubricate the threads so they do not gall and will tighten up leak free.

I did not use any thing on the threads.
And It all works great over a year later.

I have been adding more gauges this week.
I got a pillar gauge pod that holds three gauges.
I got a gauge for the trans temp,clock,& a
volt gauge.

The pod looks real nice.Like my SC came from
the factory with a gauge pod.I thought the
pod would be in the line on sight ,but its not.
I still need to finish with the wire hook-ups.
I have to install a sensor for the trans temp
gauge in the transmission pan.

Then I will be finish with my gauges,except I
would like to get a 150 mph speedo.

Randy

Last edited:
Tranny sensor

A few questions:
Did the tranny sensor come with the tranny gauge?
If not where did you get it?
I ask b/c I am having my Art Carr Extreme AOD installed in a couple weeks and I also want/need to install a tranny temp gauge. Where in the tranny pan does it go?
Do you have to drain the fluid to install it?
As you can tell, I know little about this area.

Thanks,
Paul

Randy N Connie said:
I did not use any thing on the threads.
And It all works great over a year later.

I have been adding more gauges this week.
I got a pillar gauge pod that holds three gauges.
I got a gauge for the trans temp,clock,& a
volt gauge.

The pod looks real nice.Like my SC came from
the factory with a gauge pod.I thought the
pod would be in the line on sight ,nut its not.
I still need to finish with the wire hook-ups.
I have to install a sensor for the trans temp
gauge in the transmission pan.

Then I will be finish with my gauges,except I
would like to get a 150 mph speedo.

Randy

Paul I bought my gauges from www.SummitRacing.com.
Summit has more gauges than they list in there catolog.
You can go to www.autometer.com and see all there gauges.
Get the autometer part number.Then give the part number
to Summit when you what to place an order.(This is if you want
a gauge not listed with Summit).Autometer has gauge pods also
for are SCs,not listed with Summit.I bought my triple gauge pod
from www.gaugepod.com

I purchase the AutoMeter Z series gauge.
The part number for the transmission temp gauge ATM-2640.
The sensor comes with autometer gauges.

The transmission pan I have has a drain hole.But no threaded
bung to screw the sensor into.So I will need to drill a hole
in the transmission pan. And weld a bung in to screw the
sensor in to.I am going to place the temp sensor bung
in the back-middle of the transmission drainpan.

I have a chrome steel drain pan that came with the Lentech trans.
You can buy a cast aluminum transmission drainpan with a
threaded drain plug,And they have other casted in bungs ,
for a temp sensor unit to screw into the pan.

There is a pan for sale, in the for sale forum now.
Its a B&M Pan,I don't know if it would have the
extra bung for the sensor.

Art-Car I would think has transmission drainpans with a
drain plug and another hole for sensors to screw into.

Randy

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
Paul I bought my gauges from www.SummitRacing.com.
Summit has more gauges than they list in there catolog.
You can go to www.autometer.com and see all there gauges.
Get the autometer part number.Then give the part number
to Summit when you what to place an order.(This is if you want
a gauge not listed with Summit).Autometer has gauge pods also
for are SCs,not listed with Summit.I bought my triple gauge pod
from www.gaugepod.com

I purchase the AutoMeter Z series gauge.
The part number for the transmission temp gauge ATM-2640.
The sensor comes with autometer gauges.

The transmission pan I have has a drain hole.But no threaded
bung to screw the sensor into.So I will need to drill a hole
in the transmission pan. And weld a bung in to screw the
sensor in to.I am going to place the temp sensor bung
in the back-middle of the transmission drainpan.

I have a chrome steel drain pan that came with the Lentech trans.
You can buy a cast aluminum transmission drainpan with a
threaded drain plug,And they have other casted in bungs ,
for a temp sensor unit to screw into the pan.

There is a pan for sale, in the for sale forum now.
Its a B&M Pan,I don't know if it would have the
extra bung for the sensor.

Art-Car I would think has transmission drainpans with a
drain plug and another hole for sensors to screw into.

Randy

Randy,

If you don't want to drill the pan for the sensor, you can do like I did and use the drain port for the sensor. Since the threads on the sensor were 1/8" NPT and the pan (Lentech cast) was 1/4" NPT, all I needed was a reducer bushing 1/4" NPT Male to 1/8" NPT Female. Since the sensor only has one wire, it can easily be removed and you just unscrew the sensor and reducer bushing as a unit to drain the pan.

My new Lentech for the 93 came with two drains, so i did the same thing with one of the ports and left the other alone.

David

"T" on the fuel rail?

I read a post about someone putting a "T" in so they could keep the Schraeder valve while having a gauge. I think it was George, but not sure. Anyone done this? If so, where the H**L did you get the T? I have been to 4 hardware stores and 4 auto parts stores and found nothing. Have also looked through Summitt's inventory and found nothing.

MIKE 38sc said:

David Neibert said:
Randy,

If you don't want to drill the pan for the sensor, you can do like I did and use the drain port for the sensor. Since the threads on the sensor were 1/8" NPT and the pan (Lentech cast) was 1/4" NPT, all I needed was a reducer bushing 1/4" NPT Male to 1/8" NPT Female. Since the sensor only has one wire, it can easily be removed and you just unscrew the sensor and reducer bushing as a unit to drain the pan.

My new Lentech for the 93 came with two drains, so i did the same thing with one of the ports and left the other alone.

David

What about clearance issues? Does it stick down and ever get caught on anything? I'd hate to have it get caught on something and then me be screwed losing tranny fluid going down the road. I'm working on installing my tranny temp gauge too right now and that's the last hurdle I need to jump is right there.

And where'd you get the reducer? :D

-Andy "Melon"

Andy,

There are no problems with clearance or anything getting snagged on it unless you take your SC off road. The reducer bushing can be found at any hardware or plumbing supply store. I used a brass one, but you could also use the regular steel ones. Here's a picture

David

PS: After looking at the picture, that may actually be a 3/8" NPT male to 1/8" NPT female reducer.

Attachments

• IM001293.JPG
    IM001293.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Is your drain plug on the bottom on either of your SC's? I see it's on the side for atleast one of yours, but what about the other one? I only ask because the drain plug on mine is on the bottom and it's a Lentech pan. That's why I was concerned about it getting caught on things.

If nothing else, I'll just keep the drain plug in the car in case something like that does happen. I don't think it'll stick that far out to cause a problem.

-Andy "Melon"

I am going to mount my sensor in the back side of the transmission pan.
So If I drive in tall grass or what ever,I will not drag or rub the sensor & wire.

here are brass reducers that came with AutoMeter trans-temp gauge.

Did not get to mine this weekin,To much NASCAR on TV.

Randy

Melon said:
Is your drain plug on the bottom on either of your SC's? I see it's on the side for atleast one of yours, but what about the other one? I only ask because the drain plug on mine is on the bottom and it's a Lentech pan. That's why I was concerned about it getting caught on things.

If nothing else, I'll just keep the drain plug in the car in case something like that does happen. I don't think it'll stick that far out to cause a problem.

-Andy "Melon"

Andy,

Both of my Lentech pans have the drain port on the side. It a cast aluminum pan, not sheet metal. I think they sell both types.

David

Back