Electrical Problem

supercoupe92FL

For the last couple months, sometimes when I go to start my car, I turn the key to start and get a clicking noise but no start. I turn the key all the way back and go to start again and then it will start up just fine. It is very random and will happen when its hot or cold out, on the 1st start of the day or after I have driven for a while. I have been noticing it happening more frequently now though which concerns me. I dont want to get stranded somewhere!! Now I am not sure if this is related or not but today I was sitting at a light and my car just died and the battery light came on. I went to start it and it started up just fine and I got home without any further problem, also drove since without incident.

I did a search and couldnt come up with anythign to specific other than a starter relay for the clicking maybe. I dont know how old my battery or alternator are so it may be those too.
Any ideas??

Thanks

electrical problem

i had the same problem in my old 92 sc. it clicked once at the gas station so when i got home i changed the sylinoid which is located next to the battery on the apron. never had the problem again.

The first thing I would check are the battery cables and clamps. Make sure they're clean and tight and that the cable's insulation isn't swollen from corroding inside the cable. Check the connections on the solenoid and the starter as well. Bad cables/connections can act exactly as your saying. (Intermittently making connection good enough for it to start one time, then just click the next) Probably also a good time to check the water level in your battery as well.

If that doesn't help you can change the solenoid and check your ignition switch under the steering column. There was a problem with some of these coming apart when the crimping tabs were'nt holding tight and loosening or unbending over time and the two sections of the switch were not tightly mated to each other as a result. This can also cause intermittent problems. Although it usually affects more than just your start function.

Hope this helps

I'd agree on cables and clamps. Had the EXACT problem on my pickup. New cables, no more problem. They're pretty cheap too.

Ignition Switch

Ford had a recall on the ignition switch a few years back, you might call a dealership service department and have them run the VIN on your SC to determine if it was ever brought in for the repair (replacement). The bad switches caused all kinds of goofy problems from "no start" to no brakelights, and some other intermittent electrical failures.....

OK thanx for the input guys. I called around and that solenoid is pretty cheap so i'll go get that and replace it if and when it starts getting worse.

All the above replies are right on the money. I just wanted to add that if you don't know how old your battery is, replacing it would be cheap insurance. If your battery needs replacement, it could be another source of it dying while running. Just for a check, you might want to check and see if your alternator is putting out 13.8 - 14.4 volts or so by putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals while it's running. If it's below 12 volts = alternator bad. But, I'm guessing it's probably just the wires/soleniod, but I wanted you to have more info on checking everything. It seems like on these cars, what seems like is wrong is perfectly fine. It's the other less likely stuff that is the problem. Good luck!

Before you spend a dime on parts, clean the battery cables first with steel wool. Clean the posts and clamps. Then tighten firmly, but don't overtighten. Clean the contacts at the relay (incorrectly called a solenoid sometimes) and THEN: clean, tighten the connections at the starter motor itself. Do this with the negative cable disconnected from the battery because the large cable is directly connected to the batt positive post. There is a small wire at the starter (a spade which fits over a tab) that is known to get grimey and work loose over time.
Hope this helps. :)

Back