confused

ehonrc51

Hello all....I just bought my first supercoupe from brother(its a divorce thing)its a 1990.
The problem I'am having is my x-sister-in-law was going down the road in it and the car just shut off. So my brother started working on it he replaced the DIS module,cam sensor,crank sensor and coil pack but still nothing. So the car went to the shop after 3 hours of diagnostics the mechanic said it was either the crank sensor or the EEC(he replaced the crank sensor after the mechanic told him that)and still nothing. So anyway I picked the car up for a hundred bucks and trailered it home I purchased a EEC over the internet because ford wants $1100.00 to pull the dash and replace it and still nothing so looking a bit further the intergrated relay control module also sends power to the EEC so I replaced it and still nothing.
All other electrical systems in the car work fine I was asked before if the upshift light was coming on when I crank it and it does but I do not know what this means.
Any help anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Personally I'd invest in a code reader before spending any more money on parts. I bought one at Walmart for $25. Works fine and at least you'll have a starting point.

One thing, anyone checked to see if the fuel pump is working?? It should come on when the key is turned toward start. There's a shut off in the trunk, driver's side.

See if you can get the codes and post them. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction. Lots of experienced people here.

Could still be the crank sensor. Not being bad but the HB could be wobbling and not making a good connection for the sensor to read. Something else you can try.

I agree with Aaron, check to see if the bolt for the crank pulley is still there. How did you set the position of the crank sensor when you installed it? By that I mean the .020 from the sensor to the vane? I trim a piece of match book cover paper or business card stock to about 3/16" and sandwich it between the sensor and the metal part of the vane, then turn the crank be hand with an breaker bar on the crank bolt to get the distance right, before I tighten the sensor down. If you took the crank bolt and pulley off, then you need to get a new bolt BTW.
The Up-Shift light means that there is no signal from the crank sensor. Good luck

Last edited:
It is going to be related to the Crank Position sensor. Either the sensor is faulty. The sensor is not gapped properly, or the harmonic Balancer is failing causing the sensor to get a bad signal.

As someone mentioned, check to make sure the crankshaft bolt is still holding the balancer on. Typically the failure reported is caused by the bolt breaking and the balancer coming loose.

Could it be FUEL?

Sounds like you have replaced all of the necessary electronics and some twice, so lets look at the fuel. Check your fuel pump fuse, relay and if all of that is good then check your fuel pressure on the rail if you have a gauge. It should be around 35 Lbs at idle and 40 Lbs when you accelerate the engine. An easy way to check to see if you have fuel flow is disconnect the fuel filter (located under the passenger seat on the frame) inlet and have some one turn on the key. Be careful! If you have fuel flow it will come at you hard. Good Luck!

Ed Springer

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Upgraded '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

All other electrical systems in the car work fine I was asked before if the upshift light was coming on when I crank it and it does but I do not know what this means.
Basic diagnostics guys, the upshift light is supposed to go out during crank. If it doesn't, then the crank sensor is not reading. Start there.

If all else fails...

Check the P.O.S. Harmonic balancer. Willing to bet she is getting ready to break away from the crankshaft snout. If you have already replaced all the major electronics then the Mechanicals are next. Unless of course your fuel filter/pump/relay is not working, that could cause a similiar condition. Check for Spark (use the old-fashioned method). Use a spray can of starting fluid to see if the engine will start with it, that should tell you whether or not the fuel system is functional. If it does NOT start with the starting fluid spray, then that would all but eliminate the possibility of a fuel system problem (although one may remotely exist, but doubtful)

BTW, what year EEC (engine computer) did you use in it? Some years used different pin-outs from what I hear.

Good luck

Phil

PS. Check the harmonic balance, the harmonic balancer bolt to see if it is there, if no, prepare yourself for some work!!!

Back