PDA

View Full Version : idle......

MysticGohan51
05-07-2003, 05:57 PM
ok guys this is a tough one.....so i don't know how many of you are going to be able to answer it.....when i dirve about 55mph say.......when im slowing down the rpm meter will jump up a bit then when im ready to stop it idles real low around 4-500 then comes back up to normal.......its not the idle air control valave because i just bought one.....so what else could be going on....hope to hear from someone soon......Thanks.....
Don

Bacondoggy
05-07-2003, 06:05 PM
where did you get your IAC??? according to some people if its not a ford iac (like autozone or advanced), the wires are switched backwards. Everyone has told me to get it from ford - and that's like $94 around here... if you did get another ICA from ford, can I have your old one?? ;)

MysticGohan51
05-07-2003, 06:07 PM
i got mine from napa auto parts.......

Bacondoggy
05-07-2003, 06:10 PM
hmm not sure about them - hopefully someone here who knows alittle more about them will be able to hel you out - I just hear that the autozone and advanced ones are "backwards"

MysticGohan51
05-07-2003, 06:40 PM
so any others have any idea?????

007_SuperCoupe
05-07-2003, 07:06 PM
vacuum leak. Check your IC tubes. I'm battling that still. It's not as bad as it used to be. On the highway, (or above 1500 rpm) it ran great, but when I'd idle, the rpms would range from 400 to 900. I think the EEC was trying to adjust the fuel based upon the O2 sensors, but it could only do it so far because the MAF was sending a conflicting signal. I had too much unmetered air. Vacuum is where I'd start, then maybe check the fuel filter and maybe you TPS. Just thoughts.

Thrty5thSC
05-07-2003, 07:31 PM
just a coincidence maybe. i took the tentioner pullies off (all three) cause they were real noisy, and the bearings were very tight. if i held just the bearing and tried to spin the pully it would only turn one or two revolutions. so i sprayed pb blast in them to loosen them up and it did. then i soaked them with marvel mystery oil. and they now spin quite freely. put them back on and the idle doesn't drop down like it used to. just like your car did mine did the same thing. try the pullies and see. mine were pretty tight. and that would deffinitly put a stain on the motor. hope it'll work for you too.
good luck bro,
joe

Bacondoggy
05-07-2003, 07:38 PM
checking for leaks - turn your car on - spray carb/starting fluid on all the tubes - listen and see if your engine changes - if you, you know that's where your leak is

MysticGohan51
05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
well thanks everyone.....tomorrow i will try to check for leacks and also look at the pullies....if anyone else has any advice id be happy to hear it.....Thanks

Don

TbirdSCFan
05-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by MysticGohan51
i got mine from napa auto parts....... Nope... Napa's is an improper part also. If it has the cable tie across the body and a long plastic wire bundle, its the wrong part. To mount that part, you have to install it 180 degrees reversed from the original position (hence the long lead). Problem is the SC has the oil filer tube which prevents that. The Ford part, or any valve closed part will work. For once, the Motorcraft part isn't very much more than an aftermarket part. Also, if its wrong, your idle will race, not stumble. You might have gotten lucky.

MysticGohan51
05-08-2003, 01:51 AM
yeah lol.....it says to install it the opposite way.....it is impossible the way it is designed though....so we'll see what happens for now....

phils89sc
05-08-2003, 12:22 PM
I have had mine on for about 9 months and no problem. Looked exactly like the original. I believe GP Sorenson made it and I bought it from Autozone (Maybe Advance Auto, but I don't think so).

Phil

TbirdSCFan
05-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Some people have had success with the part from Advanced Auto. Its evidently built just like the OEM part. If you have the P/N and brand, it would be great to add it to the P/N faq. Autozone, Pep boys, and even Napa used to sell the Borg Warner IAC which had to be reversed to work. I went through all that after cleaning mine a little too hard and rupturing the diaphragm.

Randy N Connie
05-09-2003, 12:29 AM
You can put a plastic tie or hose clamp on every vacum line you can get to.
This will help you a lot.

Go and buy about 8, 3/8in. hose clamp ,& about 4, 1/2in clamps,& some black plastic ties.

Even if it is the IAC that is your problem.

Put clamps on the pcv valve,all the way to the back of the super charger.Clamp all the
lines on the back of the super charger.Clamp or plastic tie the vac line to the middle of
the cold air pipe.Put plastic ties on the small nippled vac line on the back of the
super charger and the small nippled line on the driver side of the super charger.

You may have other problems.BUT THIS WILL HELP.

Take your windsheild wipers off and about six screws out of the plastic cowl below
the windsheild,& remove plastic cowl.Then you can get to the back of the plenum
on the back of the super charger to get to the vacum lines.

Mike8675309
05-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Word to the wise:

When you reinstall your plastic cowl, make sure that you clean off the foam strip that contacts the windshield. If there is even a little piece of sand in there, it can create a point of stress in your windshield and crack it. It's happened to me.