SC head cutaway - *pics

tbird88

Through the fog of butchering aluminum, a day job, girlfriend, skeeters, my mom, etc etc etc.........I grabbed the bandsaw to cut loose of some tension. It felt good after being snowed under for about a month, nuthin' was gonna stop me from lettin' off some steam. Anything else come to mind that I need to vent on...?

The intake pic shows where the injector sits in comparison the the port, looks like a lot can come out of the roof/guide area to give the port a nicer radius on its way to the valve.

On the exhaust, I think I speak for many when I say some Ford engineers somewhere committed a crime when they designed this. ARGH!

'bird

gentlemen, start your grinders...
intake5626.jpg

exhaust5636.jpg

haha, somone should do a before and after flow of the heads when the short side radius lip is trimmed, probably 15cfm, maybe:D

You mean stuff has to get back out of the cyllinder? I thought it all burned up when the spark thingy went off.

Damn....

Can you say major turbulence in the exhaust track? Intake doesn't look too bad!! Just like Ford though!! Invite a whole bunch of supercharged air to the party, but doesn't want to let it out once it's there!!

How hard would it be to eliminate the restriction in the short turn lip and really smooth things out? How much HP could be had by doing so?

Thanks

Phil

WOW!!!!

That exhaust is terrible. You really see how bad these heads are when you cut them apart. Never thought of doing that. Now the trick is putting it back together. :) Would make a machinists job easier to see this, no wonder why we get so much power from head work.

That exhaust lip is so sharp you could cut your finger on it if you're not careful.

As for flow ratings, it's easy to get 40% increase (avg. not peak) out of the exhaust and around 25% (again, avg) out of the intakes. HP gain is 30 at the least with some bowl work.

Full porting/polishing on a mostly stock type motor is a colossal waste of time and money.

BlackbirdSC,

Full porting/polishing on a mostly stock type motor is a colossal waste of time and money.

With a statement like that,you must of not smelled the coffee yet this morning.Or your just
a tight *** with your money.:D

Why has Ford engineering never had the sense to simply copy the port configuration of a small block Chevy head on any motor?

The 351C heads are OK but the exhaust is nowhere near as good as a SBC. Most people don't recognize that the chevy heads work really well because the exhaust ports are so good (even unported).

Kind of off topic...

Tbird88 - are you still offering the porting to exhaust manifolds?

If so can you email me at trwnum2@aol.com with some information, I tried emailing you but either it may not have gotten trhough or something

Wish I had seen this about 2 weeks ago. I just got my engine rebuilt and put back in the car. If I had seen this I would have had my head redone to fix this problem.

Ya know, I was thinking that the exhaust port would look pretty good after clean up when compared to the typical Ford port that's just about hopeless no matter what. :D

WB Wynnster!
How's Sam and the low rider cats.....those are so strange but very interesting, I need 1.....Hope all is well!

Good to see that your back, we didn't know if you were broke down (go figure in an SC, LOL) or chained up to the milling machine!

I will say, I'm sure I speak for most, you are one of the craftiest person in this SC community. I need to get a serious Head job sooner than later.....since Ford didn't do us any kind of performance justice on that design.

Keep up the great work! Will be good to see the ole HBC again, need to do that soon.......

Gracious amigo--- :D
Calvin

I beg to differ with this statement too.........

If I felt so inclined, for less than $1500, I can have full on ported stock heads, intake and an E Cam in my Mustang, with the rest of the supporting bolt ons like MAF, TB, exhaust, etc etc, and with good tires and decent suspension, be in the 12's ALL DAY LONG. And this is with a "stock type motor", no power adders.

I can only imagine what kind of gains can be had with fully ported aluminum heads, with bigger valves, a good cam and ported blower, intake and plenum can do on an SC. I would bet with a good exhaust system, the supporting bolt ons, good tires and driver, this would make for a solid mid 13 second T-bird or XR7. Just goes to show that it isn't necessarily how much you spend, but how you spend it. Find a good machinist and your car will rock, find a bad one, and you will have just wasted your hard earned money.......

Something to think about before blowing big bucks on expensive aftermarket parts, not only that, wouldn't be cool going fast on stock parts? :D

Matt

Randy & Connie said:
BlackbirdSC,

With a statement like that,you must of not smelled the coffee yet this morning.Or your just
a tight *** with your money.:D

Err... no. I'm an ASE certified machinist that has machined ~300-400 motors in my time. :D :p The reason for not fully porting and polishing (which I think most people don't even know what this means.. but anyway) heads on a stock motor is you have to build a 'system' and not just a bunch of parts bolted together. A stock SC cam has less than .450" lift. Fully porting the intake ports could actually drop the lower lift flow (like below .100"-.150") which will hurt the stock cam. Yes, fully ported intake ports will flow like mad compared to stock above .350"-.400", but the stock cam never gets there for any period of time. Also, fully ported intake runners will be so smooth they won't help mix the air and fuel as it comes in. With the injector firing so close to the chamber, the intake runner being just a little rough will actually help turbulence and fuel mixture. This will lead to better part throttle response and low rpm power.

Yes, fully ported exhaust runners are a good thing. No arguement there.

Polishing the combustion chambers will help ward off detonation slightly. But, the stock aluminum castings are already relatively smooth. Knocking down/laying back the ridges around the valves (they're shrouded pretty badly) and maybe smoothing the little bump by the spark plug are about all thats needed.

We'll see how well my heads do when I get it back on the dyno. The numbers in the sig are with a smaller cam, stock 94 blower and smaller exhaust. Although, this round 2 motor has over 20k miles on it already. :rolleyes:

Later,
Steve

P.S. I think some of you don't understand what a stock type motor is. That's one that doesn't get a cam swap, headers, intake mods out the wassu.. etc etc. Basically just a set of heads, maybe a cat back exhaust, pulley and CAI. Once a cam and blower swap is done, all bets are off.

mck89XR7 said:
I beg to differ with this statement too.........

I can only imagine what kind of gains can be had with fully ported aluminum heads, with bigger valves, a good cam and ported blower, intake and plenum can do on an SC. I would bet with a good exhaust system, the supporting bolt ons, good tires and driver, this would make for a solid mid 13 second T-bird or XR7. Just goes to show that it isn't necessarily how much you spend, but how you spend it. Find a good machinist and your car will rock, find a bad one, and you will have just wasted your hard earned money.......

You hit it on the head with this paragraph. Although, I didn't quite have the right intake mods or gears (wrong CAI kit, 3.08s and stock blower) and ran stock street tires at the track to pull a 13.5. It's all in where you spend the money. I had my heads flow tested twice to see how much improvement modifications made. I also had a stock head flowed with just a 3 angle valve job for comparison.

I'm thinking I can squeak a 12 off now. We'll see..... ** crosses fingers **

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, you can sure tell who the newbies are around here!

For those of you who don't know, Steve ran that 13.5 with a worn out blower, stock intercooler, and crappy street tires. Hmmmm, I don't think a comparably equipped Steig car has managed that yet.

Besides that, some of the other top running cars have made their marks with mildly ported heads. One mildly ported head motor took top HP at the 1st annual MN12 Nationals beating out a CMRESII in the process.

You would do well to pay attention to what Steve has to say.

As for the SBC heads, give me a modern 5.0 head please. No Chevy can touch an AFR 225, especially the exhaust. :p

Blackbird SC Your right.now that you explain your thought on a stock motor.

I started porting heads in 1968.and I designed my own billet heads and cnc
machined them .I also make the cylinders,billet block.crank,ect. for pro-stock to
blown top fuel HDs.I may be new to SCs but not new to the flow characteristics.
I have numerous national championships,& top 5 place rankings to prove this.
In drag racing,road racing,to bonneville,and across both ponds.

When I do a port job I ask the customer what the use will be,and what mods
they have &what plans they have for future mods.If they tell me the motor will
stay stock or modified. I have no problem in producing a head that WILL flow more
from a lift of 0.50 .100 .150 or .800 I can port a head to put out the numbers where I need them
to match the combination being assembled.

I guess its hard to convey a persons complete ideas in sound bites as they turn out to
be in posting here.

Good luck on your project.

Randy

FearThis SC said:
WB Wynnster!
How's Sam and the low rider cats.....those are so strange but very interesting, I need 1.....Hope all is well!

I'm still tryin' to figure out how to mount some GFX on Bazzle when halloween comes around, he's already got the OE lowering kit :)

Good to see that your back, we didn't know if you were broke down (go figure in an SC, LOL) or chained up to the milling machine!

Chained to the milling machine is pretty close, that and dozin' off with a grinder in my hands. It's gotten to be a bit much at times (just ask Sam) so I took the frustration out on the head.

I will say, I'm sure I speak for most, you are one of the craftiest person in this SC community.

I like to think I'm pretty determined, just wish I knew what makes me (and others) wanna make a 2-ton car go faster.

I need to get a serious Head job sooner than later.....

Problems with flow?...underboost?...clogged injectors?

since Ford didn't do us any kind of performance justice on that design.

I know dat's right!

Keep up the great work! Will be good to see the ole HBC again, need to do that soon.......

See ya at the next one. Gotta get Jeffro to tell the story of how he went for a ride in Verno's car and soiled his drawers. That car is TOO QUICK!

Gracious amigo--- :D
Calvin

Back