Where do I hook up an aftermarket temp guage?

The stock version is inaccurate, I hear plenty of guys saying to nstall an aftermarket temp guage, but they never say where they plum it in... I believe they are adding a second one, and not replacing the original...

There are two different temp sensors aren't there? Where is the second one? I know one is on top of the thermostat housing....

Which ones do what anyways? I assume the one I mentioned is for the temp guage... where is the other one?

The sensor coming off the thermostat housing is where you will take your reading from. The other sensor which is on a "stem" off the passenger front corner of the intake manifold is for the EEC to take its readings. Most people add the gauge in a 2 1/16" form to a pod that attaches to the A pillar on the driver' side.

Paul

Attachments

• pod_pic1.jpg
    pod_pic1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 161
I added a complete set

Paul is right. I discovered the two sensors when I added mine (see pic on this thread - http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24505). To be sure, start the car, let it get to proper temp and pull the wire of the T-stat sensor...the gauge should fall and you know you have the right one and have left the EEC in tact.

I used Sunpro gauges. The english & metric units were colored almost identical to the speedometer. I then used some black contact paper to cover up the OEM gauges in the dash.

BTW - If you add an oil pressure gauge, be sure to connect the OEM wire for the old sender to ground. This will "trick" the gauge cluster into believing there is oil pressure so you do not get a constant "check gauges" light (at least, that's how it worked on my 94 5 spd.

Good luck.

Re: I added a complete set

mduralia said:

BTW - If you add an oil pressure gauge, be sure to connect the OEM wire for the old sender to ground. This will "trick" the gauge cluster into believing there is oil pressure so you do not get a constant "check gauges" light (at least, that's how it worked on my 94 5 spd.

Good luck.

If you ditch the steel bracket on the PS pump you can get a T in the oil pressure port and run both the stock and aftermarket gauges. As for the coolant temp, I just threw away the stock sensor and put the Autometer in it's place. If you really wanted, you could get a T connector and put it in one of the coolant lines that runs to the heater box. Then the stock gauge would still work.

Well duh to me

BlackbirdSC makes a good point. If you run both gauges then the idiot low pressure light still works. Wish I would have thought of that. Well, maybe one weekend when the Ms. doesn't have something else planned for me (yeah, right).

Back