flywheel bolts

see if you can get a pic of the head of the bolt. It will tell you the grade of the bolt. As for the thread, best bet is to take it to a place that deals in fasteners.

The factory bolts have a shoulder on them that makes them rather unique. I would replace them with OEM parts.

I called CMRE and they told me they are 10mmx1.0 pitch. ARP sells a 10mmx1.0 flywheel bolt for a Pinto. I ordered a set for $10. The kit comes with 6 bolts. If they don't work I will have to get a OEM set from Ford. I will have to wait until I pull the motor to find out for sure. If they do work I'll let you know so it can be added to the FAQ.

hey, i delt with this before, call jegs, they told me before when i had an issue with my alumi flywheel that they had a chevy/ford universal flywheel ARP bolts for our cars, i was talking to there tech support for a while.i have right now full threaded grade 8 bolts, witch are a step up from stock i was told from jegs tech support, i used them because my holes for my flywheel weren't correct, and it works fine now though, but i assume your hole diameters are fixed, because i spoke with Bill from SCP and he i'm almost positive got back to Spec about it, or unless your using a stock flywheel, same bolts anyways... Hope that helped.. Alex L

Last edited:
Just FYI, the parts catalogue shows the manual trans SC flywheel bolts as M10 x 1.0 x 24 mm long. P/n is E2TZ 6379 A. They are going obsolete, but some stock is still available from the Memphis warehouse.

cheers
Ed N.

Well i got the part number for OEM bolts from Ed (thanx Ed!) and as he said, the dealers dont have them. They can get it but the wait is a minimum of a week and i checked in two dealers....one wanted $5.00 a piece and one wanted $12.00 a piece....thats a minimum of $30 for the set.

Before i tried the dealer route i went to this parts store and they gave me the universal chevy/ford ARP's...and they dont work. They are too big. I also tried napa and they said they could get a set but they would have to order them...that was for around $10...im going to still order those b/c it appears that the 'right' ones are getting hard to find. Last resource, and its what the NAPA guy recomended, is to use full-threaded grade 8 bolts.

Did anyone ever figure out a proper flywheel replacement bolt for the 5 speed cars?

Hmm, ARP has a M10x1.0 flywheel bolt for the 4.6 & 5.4 mod motor #254-2801. Looks like it's got a shoulder on it.
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12560
ARP-254-2801.jpg

Last edited:
Those bolts would work great. Since the flywheel doesn't have any dowels they use a wide shank, under the head, to keep the flywheel from sliding around underneath the bolts. They center and hold it.

I probably will buy some to test it out. But in my searching I found that some folks had issues with the spec aluminum flywheel not fitting with stock bolts. Bill at SCP was involved and perhaps Spec fixed it.

So I gotta pull my flywheel out of the box and see what's up. It was used when balancing the engine, so my guess is spec fixed it sense my machinist used my factory flywheel bolts and didn't tell me he had an issue.

Once I figure it out I'll place an order.

11mm shoulder running about 7.5mm down from the top of the bolt. And it fits my spec.

I'll be contacting spec to validate the numbers of the part listed below.

Hmm, Well ARP says their bolts have a shoulder depth that is the same, but the shoulder size is .309" or 9.92mm. Effectively 1mm smaller in diameter. I guess my gut is saying that's just not enough shoulder. Any one else with thoughts on these ARP, or is there any other option that is more dead on?

Still no joy on finding a replacement for these. Ford has them discontinued. I'm going to ping ARP again and see if they wanna find something that'll work or not.

Otherwise I may bush the flywheel to fit the smaller ARP bolts.

I went to a place here in Albuquerque that specializes in bolts and they had no matches. Maybe we can rally and get ARP to make some for us. I ended up re-using the stock bolts.

I just bought a set of Ford OEM flywheel bolts very recently, there should still be more available.

- Dan

Part number? When my local dealer looked them up they were listed as discontinued. I didn't press them to look harder.

Back