Exhuming the old DIS Discussions

Les Borda

My memory is failing me so forgive me if I have this wrong but...I thought a couple of years ago during the mighty DIS drought that it was discovered that thet DIS's from 89-93 were forward and backward compatible. Am I nuts or was this not the the case?

We have discovered recently that an 89-90 DIS will not function on a 93, no start condition, upshift light stays on.

Are they downwards compatible or not at at all, I can no longer remember?

Umm Les. if the upshift light comes on, its not the DIS. Its a missing PIP signal to the EEC which means crank sensor. Easiest way to check the DIS application is to get the P/N for both years and compare, but I believe they should be the same. I can't imagine that Ford would make 2 different sets of electronics and not change the wiring and connectors.

Les your memory is fine. There are definately 2 different part numbers, but it's been awhile so can't quote them. I have been running a 91-93 module in my 90 for about 2 years and 30,000 miles. It was during the unavailability era and was the only one I could get. Jason Marsh gave me the info that they could be used interchangably, however I can't speak to the issue of using a 89-90 module on a 93. Maybe Jason could help here. John

The DIS from my 90 parts car has been on my 93 for over a year so i would say that 89 to 93 are the same.

No no the upshift light only comes on when he tries to use the 90 DIS on his 93, otherwise with it's own DIS there is no start problems. He is trouble shooting to find a rough idle problem that we have beaten to death already and we're trying damned near anything to see if it changes the problem or cures it.

Ok so, that is what I remember that the DIS's were upwards and downwards compatible. Then I have no clue as to why this 93 will not start with a 90 DIS.

Back