This radio thing is driving me nuts !

dkmccarty5

Here's the deal: '92 SC. Stock radio with seperate CD player. With the CD player hooked up - no radio, no CD. If I disconnect the CD player - the radio works, but with very little/no amplification. Any ideas ???

CD/Radio problems are notorious in the JBL systems.Usually the CD goes bad and the radio won't play,the radio is wired through the CD,or the radio itself fails.Try removing the CD power cord that plugs into the back of the radio and place a false "grounding" plug into the CD power outlet on the back of the radio....that will give you radio volume if the radio is still good.
Good luck with it,I've been through the same thing at least four times.
z

Thanks Z - I've got the CD unit completey out of the vehicle. Where would I get one of the plugs for the radio ? One other piece of info. - the CD player will not accept a CD. In other words, when you go to plug a CD in - you can't get the CD player to do anything - but why would this effect the radio ? Is is possible that the amplifier (located in the trunk) is bad ?

You can use the jumpers from a pc card or old computer motherboard for the radio head unit to disable the CD. This works ok in mine. Facing the back of the unit, if memory serves me correctly you jumper the top 2 accross from each other and then the middle 2 across from each other. Good luck.

Usually the audio places have grounding plugs laying around or can get you one from them...your CD player is bad and the signal from the radio travels through the CD to the amp or so I've been told,so when the CD goes out the radio volume doesn't work as well.When I went to Circuit City to have mine repaired I was told that the complete system had to replaced..don't beleive it...do a search on the forum,many people have had this problem and you will find how they handled it.
z

If you were getting reduced volume from the radio then most likely the CD player has died.I've got a couple of radios and CD's,I'll check them,I've had them in storage for a while....I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who have extras.
z

Back