Red '89 XR7... Potential Parts Car

S

SeanMatteson

Red '89 XR7... Potential Parts Car

Guys,

A couple of weeks ago, Les and I were out test driving my freshly reassembled SC, and we stopped to check out an '89 XR7 that I noticed sitting at a shop near Hamilton a while back. The body is in rough shape... Les says worse than his was before she was reborn. Apparently, she's great mechanically, and there is a ton of new stuff on it. Apparently, the owner has been delinquent about paying his bill at the shop, but between parts and labour there's about $3500 worth into this car. I'm not sure how much of a hit the car owner and/or the shop owner are willing to take on this thing.

Is anyone interested in pursuing this car for parts? The powertrain is complete, and it sounds like you could drive the car.

Please let me know, as I told the shop owner I would advertise the car to our club. I did tell him already that most club owners would only be interested in the car for parts, and that will mean a lower price if anyone is even interested.

What I'm after here, is a sense of what the complete parts car might be worth to some of you guys... I know there have been some people this winter who expressed a need for replacement engines, trannies, etc. Now is the time to speak up.

Cheers,

Re: Red '89 XR7... Potential Parts Car

Is it a 5 - speed Sean with leather or cloth and just how bad is the body?

Greg,

It is a 5-spd. I'm not sure what to say about the body... I guess it could be repaired, especially by a guy like yourself, but it would take a lot of time. All I know is that Les suggested it looked worse than his did before he had the body re-done. I believe the interior was cloth, and it wasn't in too bad shape, but it needed a major clean-up. ...light grey if my memory serves me correctly.

If you'd like to take a drive out to see it, maybe we could hook up next weekend?! It's about ten minutes south of Hamilton.

Cheers,

Sean,

I'd consider that car for a beater for next winter if the price is right. Maybe we'll cruise by when my car is done.

If you find out a price on that bad boy, let me know.

Hi all!

I finally got around to phoning the owner of the shop where the car is sitting, and apparently he spoke with the owner of the car. Price is set at $3000! Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for this car, with a more ideal price around the $1000 mark.

Even the owner of the shop is not impressed, as he has a lot of labour into the car, for which the car's owner has not paid yet. He went on to say he expects this car will be sitting for a long time, rotting away on his lot.

If anyone is interested enough in the car as a whole to want to pursue this any further, just let me know and I'll take you out to introduce you to the shop owner.

Regards,

I didn't see what Les' car looked like before the fix up, but was it as bad as mine? Pictures (of Les')?

Yours was smashed Kirk, mine was a rot box. Rocker panels at least 1/3rd gone both sides, bottoms of the doors gone, rust spots all over the place. windhield moulding,cowl and read window moulding in bad shape, door rubbers torn. If I gave you the list of mechanical stuff you'd cry.

The only good solid thing was the engine, after plugs and wires she ran like a charm and I have not had to put a dime into the engine yet...touch wood. Oh ok a 3 dollar snout seal...oops.

I hear ya Les. The body on mine was trashed to all hell. I think the only pieces that I didn't replace was driver side door, trunk, quarter panel and rear bumber. Strong engine though.

Back