Checked out a 1990 XR7

SpaceGhost

and the guy said the only problem with it, besides the paint on the roof, is something with the fuel system. He said whenever he runs it for a while, turns the car off and tries to turn it on it won't start for a while. Does anyone know what might be making this happen. I was thinking maybe the fuel pump.

I just got off the phone with him again and he said he just replaced the fuel pump a few months ago. He said it would need a fuel sensor and electric fan. How much would that be and how would that replace?

I don't think he really knows too much what he is talking about. The fan motor can be replaced for about $75 at an autoparts place or even less at a junkyard.

As for a fuel sensor, well, we don't have one. There are many things he could be referring to or he could just be making it up.

Dave, do you know what could be wrong with the first thing i posted? It seems to be the only major problem. Once it gets hot, it won't turn on for a while, when he tries to start it, it just floods.

XR7 Dave said:

As for a fuel sensor, well, we don't have one. There are many things he could be referring to or he could just be making it up.

Can you say what you think it might be that he is talking about

Last edited:
It sounds like a small can of worms to me. Being that your information is second hand, it would be somewhat pretentious to start suggesting solutions. However, it doesn't sound terribly serious to me.

Thing is, it is really hard to find anyone who knows how to diagnose these problems correctly so if you do get it, count on doing the diagnosis yourself with the help of some of the people here.

If you don't mind, how much is he asking? If it's cheap enough, then maybe, but otherwise I might be a little cautious.

For example, why does the fan need replacing, and how long has it been non-functional? Has the car been overheated badly? It may need headgaskets, if not today who says not tomorrow?

If it really is flooding on hotstart, is it trying to fire at all? Is there spark? Are the injectors holding pressure? It could be the ECT is bad and the car is trying to run terribly rich.

Or maybe it's not flooding at all and the crank sensor is going bad.

See, too many variables without some more information. Unfortunately until you have the car in your posession it is just going to be a gamble. Is it a gamble you are prepared to take?

:)

XR7 Dave said:
It sounds like a small can of worms to me. Being that your information is second hand, it would be somewhat pretentious to start suggesting solutions. However, it doesn't sound terribly serious to me.

Thing is, it is really hard to find anyone who knows how to diagnose these problems correctly so if you do get it, count on doing the diagnosis yourself with the help of some of the people here.

If you don't mind, how much is he asking? If it's cheap enough, then maybe, but otherwise I might be a little cautious.

For example, why does the fan need replacing, and how long has it been non-functional? Has the car been overheated badly? It may need headgaskets, if not today who says not tomorrow?

If it really is flooding on hotstart, is it trying to fire at all? Is there spark? Are the injectors holding pressure? It could be the ECT is bad and the car is trying to run terribly rich.

Or maybe it's not flooding at all and the crank sensor is going bad.

See, too many variables without some more information. Unfortunately until you have the car in your posession it is just going to be a gamble. Is it a gamble you are prepared to take?

:)

He is asking $3000, but I'm going to offer $2500 because of the hood and the problem. The interior is amazing.

The fan doesn't work the way it should, it is getting too much power or is running to high of an ampridge or something.

There is a spark, it is firing.

If the fan has been drawing too much current then there is a chance of damaged wiring at the fusible link by the starter solenoid on the driver's inner fender. Some have even melted the bottom side of the underhood fuse panel.

It's possible that the injectors are leaking down flooding the engine when hot. Otherwise, if it is simply injecting too much fuel, then try this. After shutdown when it is hot, press the gas to the floor before attempting to start it. When you crank the car with the gas to the floor it shuts off the injectors. This is designed to alleviate a flooded condition. That doesn't fix the problem, but it may help you to pinpoint it.

Everyone's a mechanic aren't they? Just like every copier repair call I get... "I think it just needs to be cleaned." Well sir do you really think cleaning will eliminate the smoke and flames coming out of it?

That does sound a little rich. I would look around on ebay, and autotrader. I am 100% sure you can find a better deal if you are will to drive some.

good luck

that wouldn't be so bad if it didn't need so much work, and by that I mean that the car needs alot of work, but for 3,000 It shouldn't need any work !!!

Tim

When it gets hot it cuts out and won't start?

I could be wrong, but it sounds a whole lot like a defective DIS module (grey box that sits right next to the A/C compressor on the engine). These are notorious for having problems of this nature. Could something as simple as the heatsink compound on the bottom side needs to be cleaned and reapplied/reseated, of it may need replacement. On I think 89-92, the DIS (distributorless ignition module) was located on passenger side A/C accessory bracket. Is has for small bolts that hold it down to the flat part on the top and has two wire harness plugs going to it, one on each side. Ford changed this design from 93 to 95 because of the heat issue. They moved it off the engine to the fenderwell, or the radiator support I think.

Anyway, it might pay for you to go purchase a $25.00 EEC code reader from Autozone or even Walmart. Chances are if you ran a code test on this XR7 it would probably kick out come codes for the ignition, like loss of PIP signal or something in that area. Also, the tester would also check the function of the cooling fan (does a self test when the codes are checked). Very useful tool, almost necessary for our cars unless you like to just start throwing parts at it and spending huge $$$.

Hope this helps!!

Phil

Back