Is 85 TB really worth it?

GREATWHITE666

I have been reading that the 75mm TB is way plenty for any SC unless it's going for extreme power... is this true? I was going to get the 85mm TB and magnum powers inlet plenum together... i always hear people have wished they spent the extra few bucks and went to the biggest part to get so they dont have to worry about it later. so would there really be a difference between the 75 and 85 TB's with the MP plenum? and also... if i went with the 75mm would it fit right with the plenum? It says you need to do a little altering.... thanks.
-Damon

cool

ok, thanks a lot. do you or anyone know what the power difference is between the 2? say i had all the intake redone with the MP plenum, what would be diff between 75 and 85? thanks for the info, still debating whether i should just spend the few extra dollars or not
-damon

Few extra bucks? Try double.

No power advantage at all until you are over 325rwhp, then maybe 5hp at most.

cool

cool, looks like im going with the 75 then. thanks a lot.
also, on supercoupe performance, the 75 sells for 289 and the 85 for 350 so it's like 60 buck difference. i was just saying if you're already spending that much, then u might as well go all the way, but if it's that little a difference only when you got that much hp, then it's not worth it for me. thanks again--
Damon

TB

just remember, the system is only as strong as the weakest link. if you go for the big TB you better get a bigger MAFS too.

chris

definitely

oh of course. i plan on doing the MP plenum, much bigger MAF and the SCP intake. that's why i was wondering, if i had all that, if there would be a diff between the 75 and 85--- thanks guys!
-damon

If you are not afraid of a little throttle linkage modification, 75mm TB can be had for $150. Sorry for not being more specific.

Well....

IMO....From what I have seen as far as the big boys on the Dyno...The 75MM TB vs. 85MM TB...Seems to me that the biggest factor between the two is the Bling Bling factor rather than the performance improvment...The amount of gains made by the 85MM TB is just not worth it unless money is not an issue...I mean I can fit two 75MM TB's on both my SC's for less than ONE MP 85MM TB, and get the same net with my setup...Besides my 75MM is polished too, so there...Whitcha Bling Bling...

:D

Brad

lol

i see, well good. seems enouhg people have changed my mind to go with the 75mm... where did you get yours polished? can u buy it like that?
-damon

Well....

I got mine through hawaiiracing.com but it can be had for a lil less...XR7Dave has a link to a lil better deal I think...If ya look for his old "75MM Tbody" Thread...I got mine for 161 to my door, and I think his was around 150 or so...It is a polished unit with a mechanical adjustable TPS on it...Kind of a sweet piece...

90SCTPSshot005.jpg

90SCTPSshot001.jpg

Simple Linkage mod and you are golden...

Brad

cool

i see all those TB's are for 5.0's. is that why you have mod it? what exactly do you have to do for this linkage mod. somethign easy to someone else usually turns out to be a pain for me.. lol looks really nice though.
Damon

Simple Man....

Take a Donor SC stock Body...Steal the linkage off of it and instal it on the Stang body.

Then....Have a Tab welded onto the SC Linkage so that when it is at WOT your new lil tab on the SC linkage hits the WOT Tab on the Stang TBody so that of course the blade is horizontal.

Very simple mod...Just make sure you don't get the linkage shaft too hot cuz there are packings inside there....

Brad

While we're on the TB/MAF topic... what does everyone think about a MAF size to go along with the 75mm TB...? I know the sizes go as high as 90mm.. but I have a ZR Motorsport cold air intake which I believe is 3" (75mm), and if I got a 75mm TB.. does that mean 75-80mm MAF?? What are the opinions??

I also know the MAF has the sample tube for injectors.. I would plan on eventually upgrading to the #42 injectors.

Back