TPS, anyone adjust this for performance??

silversc90

Just read carcraft and they had an article on 5.0 performance. They said if you connect a voltmeter to the leads on the tps and adjust it to read as close to 1.0 millivolts as possible. You could get a performance gain out of it. Anyone do this yet? And if so share results please.

Our TPS mount isn't adjustable. You'd have to do some machine work to allow it to adjust on a stock throttle body.

Not sure what impact it would have on our car. Did they go into any details of the logic behind this improvement?

C.C. didnt say how much power it gave. They did say you would get a better throttle response out of it. But in my chiltons manual the only ones that have nonadjustable tps is the 2.8s.

You can adjust the TPS, by slightly elongating the bolt hole sleeves. Sometimes you have to do this, even to get back the stock settings, after installing a new BBK throttle body.
I did, however, see a plug-in throttle advance gadget some time ago that connects in line with the stock harness. But I believe I read that it gave little or no advantage with the SC, only normally aspirated engines. The stock settings I believe are still in an article on the TCCOA site; so I guess you could always fool around to see if advancing it works.

I've been down this road

I have advanced mine and extensively tested it. When I advanced it too much (turned tps in a clockwise direction), it felt like I lost some top end power, but did feel a slightly better response down low, and mids are a little better- lost some top end probably because the computer already sets the fuel to be on the rich side at WOT anyway. I don't know if the TPS is used at WOT, but I would say that the best setting for the TPS would be to advance it ever so slighty from stock position. Mine works pretty good like this- responds good at all rpms. Advance (or retard) it too much it will become a slug.

hytorksc-

My guess is that the key is to make sure that when the throttle plates crack open, the position sensor is putting out the appropriate voltage for a cracked open throttle.

So you need a good Volt meter for use when you are adjusting this. Ensuring that the sensor outputs the proper voltage as soon as the throttle moves.

This enhanced adjustment will simply bring the engine controls into closer to tolerance with what the engine computer expects, which in theory should better optimize the performance of the engine in general.

I would think that all cars might benefit slightly from this. But without the engineering knowledge of what is behind the engine control systems on our cars, I'm not sure of how much benefit we would see. This due in part to the ability of the engine computer to adjust itself for real world fluctuations in components as they age. Thus maybe the TPS adjustment would optimize the the car after a battery change when the EEC has been reset. But I wonder if the EEC doesn't adjust for that over time itself.

Back