Big trouble, little money

R

ryan a harris

Big trouble, little money

So today I got the news that you never want to hear from a mechanic........................YOUR HEAD GASKETS ARE LEAKING.

So now I must gather parts, money, and everyones past experiences. So any sort of info that can be past forward would not only help me but also make me feel better.

I'm looking at getting stock heads ported(Bill some help). new hardwear for the heads. New headers, and while I'm at it a 5 or 10% pulley. The exhust will immediatly ge following the upgrades, before the cars is back on the road.

This something I've never done with a car, but I'm looking forward to new learning exeprience, So please help me with info, parts, whatever you think may help.

Thanks for our time.

P.S. THIS F$CKING SUCKED TO FIND OUT.

Re: Big trouble, little money

If you have little money than honestly the addition of headers and a pulley are likely out of the question. You're looking at $225 in parts and $150 in special labour plus some more $ for miscelaneous things. This is provided that you do all of the labour yorself (except of course milling the heads and doing a valve job if need be).

Well I'm somewhat perpared to spend money on the job.
If I want the stuff(which I do)I'll be able to afford it.

The $$ values you said, they are for what?

Ford quoted me at $955 for labour and $310 for parts. Along with porting I'm sure I'm within my budget still. If i'm going to be doing this work I only want to do it once......so do it right.

But thank you for your input

My prices were quoted for you dong the actual work. but since you are having someone do it for you.

1200 - ford to do the hgs
800 - headers (by the time they ship here, conversion + freight and customs)
500 - Porting this is a minimum price for a good job of portwork only, add more for new valves, springs, etc
85 - pulley (again think about conversion and shipping/customs)

It ain't cheap and to tell you the truth the best route to go right now would be a complete rebuild or a new short block from ford.

what more would be included in a complete rebuild?
that quick price list was great. not too far off what i was thinking.

headers i've a got line on a good price.

hg's i'm thinking of morana to do the porting.

the labour- i've acess to a hoist and i've yet to for labour on my SC at my buddies shop and my neighbour owns a towing company.

So hopfully i will get away with doing some good work for cheap. also i'm not ruling out doing some of the work myself. thanks see ya later.

I only know these prices off the top of my head because I've done it all before.

As for the headers, its hard to get a good deal on them because there is only 1 company that makes them.

A complete rebuild would include a complete bore and hone of the block, new bearings possibly new pistons, new rings.....

This would take away the money for the headers and od pulley right now but in the long run would be the smarter thing to do. There's no point bolting on a bunch of power making stuff only to have the bottom end crap out on you. Don't ask me how I know :-(

Ryan if your looking for help there's a few of us that have torn down these engines and put them back together and they actually ran..LOL.
If you have access to the Speedy shop with hoist and air tools it's realllllllllllllllll nice.

I can't do the bull work, terrified of tearing my shoulder again after Sean's car and stuff I did to my own, but would be more than happy to assist with advice and smaller stuff. Yours would be the 3rd one for me.

Back