Leaded fuel

silversc90

Whats the deal with leaded fuel? Can you run it if you gutted your cats?? Will it harm any other sensors or parts on your car???

You can run it without a prob. Use it only for special events though because the O2's can get caked with soot from the lead and screw them up. An occasional trip to the strip with a few hundred miles in between with regular unleaded to clean it up will be fine.

the lead helps burn all the fuel. It raises octane and allows for higher boost numbers without retarding timing which makes more power. Try running high octane unleaded to see how that helps and then think another step up for leaded fuel, assuming you are running on the edge of detonation, won't notice to much on stock but there will be a difference. My car loves it.

ummm.....exactly where is it that you guys buy leaded fuel anyway? .... not that i want to, but as far as i know you can't even get it anymore, certainly not where i live. I'm from So Cal originally and it was banned there in the early 90's !....just curious that's all.........

Leaded fuel as fairly easy to get, here in san diego. quite a few 76 stations sell it... infact, you can call a service number, and 76 will send a truck out to deliver 25 gallons, or more. it's alot easier to get your hands on then you think. 125 octane low lead, is what we run in our cessna 210. i can't tell you how many times i've mixxed it into my 91 octane unleaded.

wow i wish i could get it up here, to run in my boat, not my SC! the 76 stations here dont have it, oh well..... Hey Matt how's things in my old home town of Escondido these days?

Horrible, keep your distance. We are being overtaken by the 'latino' population. Temecula is real nice now... but i give it... eh... 5 years before the Lake Smellsinore crowd migrates over there...

Matt, i know exactly what you are saying (about being overtaken) that's one reason i'm in Idaho, i can actually speak the language here! I was actually down your way last summer, My mom's aunt gave us here 1957 Thunderbird and i had to go pick it up and trailer it back here......visited a buddy in Temecula and couldn't believe how it had changed in 10 years.... didn't make it to Escondido though, i was just anxious to be headed back to North Idaho! it's nice here , you should check it out!

Look for any speed shop in your area and they can get race gas for you. usually any octance higher than 108 has lead in it but make sure not to run it if you have cats, they WILL clog those quick.

You can also get the leaded gas at your local airport. The AV Gas at mine is 100 octane, leaded, and goes for about $1.80/Gallon. I use it in my hot rod work truck and a few local boys use the same in their 10 & 11 sec cars.

The local Citgo station in Decatur, IN is selling leaded racing fuel, I believe it's 110 or 114 octane, for about $3 a gallon.

Steimie

Back