Metal Matrix Drive shaft

black95sc

I have a 1995 5 speed SC. I am thinking about replacing my stock drive shaft. Is the Metal Matrix Drive shaft any good??? What are my options???

Thanks,
Thomas

Why do you want to replace it?

The stock driveshaft is plenty strong, so are you just looking to save weight?

Yokes and Transmission output shafts fail before our driveshafts let go. Perhaps we need weaker driveshafts?

correct me if i'm wrong....

but i thought i had heard, that the drive shaft itself was the first limiting factor in increasing RPMs. I thought it wasn't balanced enough to really go beyond something like 5500 rpm. I thought the point of replacing it was so those with lots of mods, could fully use thier new power range.

jim

Jim,

You're partially correct. The driveshaft can be a limiting factor when you're talking about driveshaft rpm, meaning it limits your ability to safely drive at high speed (if you could consider driving at high speed safe). It doesn't limit your engine's rpm, except for in your top gear (due to speed).

-Rod

Tom - the problem is with the auto trans models, like my '94. Mine has a speed/rev limiter which shuts the fuel off around 130 mph in o/d (darn). Apparently the extra vibration above that speed/rev can fracture the trans casing. There is a whole long article on this on the TCCOA site. I still plan to try and bypass the EEC limiter for those rare & short opportunities to drive above that speed; before having to install a composite/alum shaft. For example, I was up in Canada last week-end and was getting the better of a late model Bonneville, only to have to back-off when she hit 130 mph (hate to give way to those GM guys).
Jim.

In answer to the first question, yes a MMC - metal matrix composite driveshaft is really good! Probably better than you need on an SC. I think most people with aftermarket shafts (myself included) are just using regular Aluminum with no problems. I got the aluminum shaft because my old one sucked, and I have a (numerically) higher rear end ratio so it was spinning even faster.

When I went to Toronto last October my birth certificate and license were just fine. In fact, they never asked for the birth certificate. But I had it in case.

Paul,

I just came back from Canada (Feb). I think it is better to use your passport to travel to Canada. That is what I did.

As for the Metal Matrix Drive Shafts, I was hoping to reduce some weight and make my SC run super smooth at any speed.

Thanks,
Thomas

Back