2003 Cobra wheels possible with 4.5 bolt pattern?

Shockwave

I really like the 2003 Cobra wheels, would these work on a 89 SC if I change to the 4.5 bolt pattern? I beleive that other Mustang 17x8 wheels would work is this correct? What is the offset 24mm?

Thanks
Jerry

03 Cobra factory wheels are 17x9". They have a bit more positive offset than most 9" Mustang wheels, they are +28 rather than +24 mm. I've been looking at a set of these to use for open-track wheels ... there is enough meat on the back of them to machine a few millimetres off, you should be able to get them to around +32 or +33, enough offset to fit them under a Bird, depending on your tire size choice.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

if your shaving some of the wheel off maybe, and only if you put them in the back.

i was researching this issue not too long ago. And came to the conclusion that there was no way in hell to get these things to fit.

i got some bird wheels with only 36mm offset and i'll be damned if i didn't have to rub the front insides on the spindle first then make a spacer. but i will say that, that may be because the rotors i got don't have a thick enough hat.

i will tell you though, that i haven't seen the wheels in person to really check them out, but going by the numbers.....

jim

OK, so if a +36 wheel was rubbing, then one with less offset should be fine, no ?? :confused:

cheers
Ed N.

not exactly,

offset defined: the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the bolt circle (the surface of the wheel that touches the hub).

positive offset increases that distance by pushing the bolt circle out- closer to the street side of the wheel, so you have more rim tucked under the car.

this would mean that my wheels should have fit just fine, and been sticking out too much from under the car. hmm. but like i posted earlier, i have 13 inch brakes, and i think the hat thickness on the rotor is too skinny for thunderbirds. (still have to find out about that)

so what you get when you put on the 03 cobra wheels is a wheel that sticks out too far (you increase your track), because your offset is too little. your talking like 12+mm on both sides, then with tire bulge and a lowered car (mines not) you would rub your fenders.

I wish i had some pics to post. with the spacers i put on my front wheels they are sticking out FAR. I measured. my front track is now almost 3 inches wider than the rear. i know front track is wider stock, but i increased it a lot.

you know i'm proofing what i wrote and its confusing me. i can't figure out why my wheels didn't fit right. well actually its only the fronts that weren't right. maybe it all because of my rotors.

anyway, yeah with 03 cobra wheels your tires will end up being outside the fender line in the front (like mine are, slightly, front only). that was the problem i came up with for those wheels, that would apply to all 4 corners.

anyway if you want to get em' try www.buyfordmotorsport.com and www.gefracing.com good prices

jim

Well I wish somebody made a replica in our offset and bolt pattern. I really like those wheels.

I did a little photoshop. I would lower the car with eibachs if I went to 17s.

cobra2003.jpg

James, I realize that the 03 Cobra wheels untouched would be sticking out on the front of the car ... +28 is not enough for a Bird on 9" wheels ... that's why I was suggesting to machine 5 or 6 mm off the mounting face, to make them +33 or +34 ... might be just nice if you found rubbing problems on the inside with +36 offset wheels.

cheers
Ed N.

Back