What would you do?

rmsuper

This coming week, Im gonna shut my SC down for 5 or so days. In that time im gonna change the plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter. I also need to replace the dr valve cover gasket. This seems to be the perfect time for this. I was considering doing the head gaskets at this time, there are no symptoms of them having blown, but why wait is my thinking. Should I go on to the Hg's and what specs should I mill and port the heads, I am planning on upgrading the exhaust the next week.
Is this feasible in the week of time or over ambitious.
I have change a water pump and powet steering unit on the SC before.

Thanx for your input!

I'd reccomend it.

If you're going to seriously reduce backpressure, replace HG's with FelPro and install ARP studs. A little insurance save a lot of down time. ;)

Unless you are going to thrash on the car, fixing stuff that is, your car will most likely be down longer than 5 days. Now, with what you are planning to do, I would say go for it. Get a good HG on there with good exhaust and you hopefully will not ever have to worry about them blowing.

in truth there is no good head gasket, i was told we can use a gasket set off of the f150 4.9 v6. Its supposed to be copper or some thing. But thats just hear say, and while you got it appart you might as well do your port work. These are what you want to port. Intake manifold, (inlet and out lets) of coarse the heads (intake + exaust), inlet plenum, blower, and the blower top. Its not hard to do it but its alot of work. Buey your new gaskets and port to the size of the new gaskets, its called gasket matching, no specs needed. Just be carefull not to pot any area to thine. Im doing all this to my 92 5speed right now, and i'll take pics as i doit.. by porting the exaust you loss back pressure, and loss boost, but in reality your not lossing the boost yourjust making it work easyer. The same amount of air is still being pushed threw. You might notice alittle drop intourque at the line but this is a small price to pay for what your gaining. If you do anything to it send me some pics. and let me know how it turns out !

what to do.

definetely go with headgaskets but as far as arp head studs....its a waste of money.unless you are pushing over 450 hp and have over 20psi boost dont woory about it.go with the felpro relplacment ones they are have the price and twice as strong as stock.

Waste of money?

Oh well, everyone's got an opinion. "You can pay me now, or pay me later." The studs don't stretch, so it's a one shot expense.

If you're gonna go with the HG's, have the heads pressure tested, cleaned and decked. Aluminum heads can warp slightly over time. Making sure they're flat before re-installing will optimize gasket sealing.

the other prob with them

they are a pain in the a@s to get the heads on and off.plus sometimes there are clearance prob if you go with hex or 12 point if you run aftermarket rollers all depends on the whole picture if you need them or not.

True, it's a 2 man job for the driver's side.

One guy to pull the engine towards the passenger's side to get that extra 1/4" clearance. But it sounds like he's got a pretty stock SC which means stock gel filled motor mounts, so that should be no prob. Also stock rockers, so no prob there either.

If the car's a "keeper" a little extra effort is worth it.

the heads dropped right down on the studs in my son's car, no problem. you will have to shorten the exhaust side studs, for manifold clearance. head studs will pull the head down tighter and more even and they will not stretch like the stock head bolts. the studs are reusable also.

Thanx for the tips.
It is stock with 137000 on it.
Just had a radiator, heater core put in.
On my 3rd clutch.
The exhaust shop recomended changing from the cats back. He is going to look in the cats to check the condition.

Dan

Back