underdrive pulleys

quick35th

I just got done putting on a new BHJ damper from SCP, and decieded to go with the three-peice underdrive pulleys from them as well. Now, whenever I first start the motor the belts or pulleys make a strange squeecky sound. Has any one ever had this problem? I taked to a friend that has had underdrives on his Chevy and they squeeck too. I did check for wabling belts/pulleys and they are fine.

Thanks!
Shane

At low RPM my BHJ and March underdrives will make a very low volume squeak.
None of the pulleys have any wobble, the belts are all new and the Idler pulleys are new steel units. I have not checked for runout, but there is none visible. I have not seen any abnormal belt wear, so like you I would love to know why.

Aaron

Probably just because they are new and have a smooth surface is the reason they are squeaking. If you've had them for a while Aaron then you got me. Just go buy some Belt Ease and it will get rid of it, probably for good because by the time it wears off your pullies will probably be worn in enough to stop squeaking.

I have the ASP underdrives (with the BHJ) and in order to use the stock belts I had to rotate the top tensioner (the one between the alternator and the waterpump pulleys) way down. There is only about a 16th of an inch clearance between the belts. Haven't had any squeeking though. Does anyone know if there is a shorter belt that would allow the tensioner to be positioned in the "stock" location? That might help with clearance and squeeking......

Back