13" KVR cross-drilled rotors

Michael Mattix

SCCoA Member
I just wanted to see if I have this straight after reading all the posts and Chargin Thunder articles....
I would like to upgrade to the 13" brake package on my 95 by piecing parts together over a relatively long period of time (I am married with kids on one income). And I was going to buy the 13" KVR crossdrilled rotors first (Anyone know the part #?) (I think the left and the right are different). Absorb the cost for a couple of months while searching ebay for any mustang (94 and up) front calipers and brackets. Purchase the mustang components and rebuild them in the meantime (a couple of months). Then pull an insurance scam (just kidding) to come up with 4-6 hundred bucks for at least 17's for wheels (4.25" bolt pattern). And finally purchase some tires to go with the rims. I don't see any point to doing the 4.5" hub change since I have the 93+ spindles. Am I missing anything?

And also, do the 13" rotors come with both 4.5 and 4.25" bolt patterns when you order them? I saw it this way in the September 2001 Chargin' Thunder. If I do it this (slow) way, I could update the calipers to AP racing some other day and absorb the cost better. Like I said before, am I missing anything? THANKS!

i think you got all of it.

for good pricing and great service visit www.discbrakesrus.com

I got some stuff through, Jeff, there. Really good on the service end.

he sells some really nice "cobra" calipers, and you can get them without the word cobra on them, or other words and colors available. I had sent him info on putting together a stainless braided brake line kit for the fronts. if he doesn't have the info up yet ask him about them. as for wheels make SURE you get the correct offset- no matter what you read or hear, you need at least 38mm to 40mm.

I just went through all this stuff and boy was it fun. (ouch)

getting calipers off ebay might be a good way to save some money.

if you talk to Jeff, and he doesn't have info on the brake lines tell him to send me an email. xgundaniumx@hotmail.com

Jim Kanterakis

You are correct in the fact that all 13" rotors for a 4.25 pattern have the 4.50 pattern as well. They all start out as Mustang Cobra rotors and KVR redrills them.

Everything you are planning will work just fine and you will love the bigger brakes.

The only advice I have is if you are planning on going with the AP or other 4 piston caliper.....Watch what kind of wheel you get.
Not only do they have to be 17" but that caliper requires quite a bit more clearance at the side of the wheel to the side of the caliper than a PBR 2 piston does so not every 17" wheel is going to work.

If you're purchasing used calipers, remember that it has to be from a 94 - up Cobra Mustang, 01 Bullitt, or 03 Mach I. Also, try at a Ford dealer down there for the 03 Mach I calipers brand new ... they come just plain satin black, no logo, with the brake pads, and mounting anchors. P/n is 3R3Z 2B121 AA for the left and 3R3Z 2B120 AA for the right side ... up here in Canuckistan they're about $150 per side wholesale, so maybe $110 or so down there ? Worth a call anyway.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back