Cooling fan not turning on by itself, help!!

phils89sc

I have read some posts here on the board about this, but need more input. My cooling fan will not come on unless I turn on the air conditioner. I found this out yesterday when she boiled over on me on the interstate (stuck in traffic).

What should I check first? I was thinking that maybe the IRCM had issues. I say that because when I bought the car, the previous owner had spliced into the a/cd clutch circuit and jumped it to the pressure switch to make it work. As soon as I removed this jumper (I am very finicky about people rigging shi% up!!) the A/C no longer worked which led me to believe that the relay for the a/c clutch was bad andI think that is also located in the IRCM.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks again for all yer help!!

Phil

cooling fan

i had a problem and i thought that my fan wasnt working and it turned out to be my temp sensor that i was buying from napa was a piece of crap. do not get the ones that are all black plastic as it will melt the end that screws into your engine. i bought the ones with the copper tip and havnt had any problems since. got them at advanced auto parts. the cooling relay is located behind the passenger side headlight but in front of your air filter box

Thanks...

But where is the temp sensor located? I need to find it. When I do the EEC test, KOEO, the fan does come on and spins, so that means the fan and relay are ok, but the temp sensor must be bad. Where is it located?

Thanks

Phil

cooling problem

i have a 94 and mine is located just in front of my engine oil fill cap. should have just a two pin connector on it

cooling fan 89

I had/have the same problem. I replaced the fan motor on my 89. Got rid of the old 2 speed motor and just have a 1 speed motor now. I found the fuse link and the fuse connectors with the fuses(25amp), so replacing the links and fuses, I hope this solves my problem. Also going to get a new female connecter for the cooling fan, fan comes on whenneedle gets to M on temp gauge, never overheats, but thinking of taking the thermostat out for now, maybe my fixing will help ya. I'll be sure to repost what happens

I had/have the same problem. I replaced the fan motor on my 89. Got rid of the old 2 speed motor and just have a 1 speed motor now. I found the fuse link and the fuse connectors with the fuses(25amp), so replacing the links and fuses, I hope this solves my problem. Also going to get a new female connecter for the cooling fan, fan comes on whenneedle gets to M on temp gauge, never overheats, but thinking of taking the thermostat out for now, maybe my fixing will help ya. I'll be sure to repost what happens

You didn't say why you used a 1-speed motor. The correct motor is available new, under VDO part number PM254 or Four Seasons part number 35171, for under $60.

You didn't say why you are replacing fuses and fuse links. Are they damaged?

Why a new female connector? Is that damaged?

Why would you take out the thermostat?

Do you know how hot the "M" on the gauge is in reality? What makes you think it's too hot?

Back