Cooling Fan motor

Burns Z

What is the trick to removing the cooling fan motor from the rad fan. I tried pushing, pulling, poking and hammering, and could not get the fan seperated from the motor. Thanks in advanced for any tips. Tom

It's a b$$$h

It's a PIA. I had to do it three times in the last 1 1/2 for people I know. The last attempt was the hardest. We used a whole can of wd40 getting it off. Also grab yourself a can of brake kleen, it cuts through the rust pretty good. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and start hammering it. Be very careful not to crack the fan (obviously). Good Luck.

Joe

So pretty much just take a punch, and beat it out....I tried alittle wd-40, but though I was missing something and didn't try anymore. Thanks For the advice man !!! :cool:

Just to make sure.....

I'm sure you did realize this, so not to insult you, but there is a clip on the end which needs to be removed too.

No problem man, Yeah I yanked that off before I started beating. My car has 250,000 miles on it, so I'm sure it's pretty much just stuck on there pretty good. I don't have to move the fan, while hold the fan motors shaft to get something to line up do I. Does it just come straight out?

Nope

Nope. Just a strait shaft. That's great it made it that far. I replaced the one on my 89 at 98K and my 90 at 163K. I looked like the one on the 90 was replaced prior to me though.

Joe

my fan motor cooked itself well done last night, smoke everywhere, to remove the fan motor, you first remove the fan from the car right? does the motor come out with it? also, i cannot get the stupid connector apart, my wires on the fan side were burnt slightly, and i have to drive the sc to work today so i just cut the wires on the bad motor side, and i guess ill worry about the stupid connector tonight, i already have the motor, $100 bux from autozone, how hard of a job is this? can someone post a "how to"

Not really a how to in my experience. Save the little clip on the end of the fan post and bang it out of there. Soak it with brake cleaner and WD40 to break most of it up.

Remove two screws at top of the fan shroad and the whole thing just lifts straight up. I had to remove my upper rad hose for proper clearance during removal and installation.

Back