Can I install my new 3.55 gears? what is needed?

phils89sc

I am pretty good with mechanics and do most of my own work. I want to install my 3.55:1 Ford gears that I just bought in my 89 SC 5 speed. I know there are things that need to be checked, and I probably would need a dial indicator, but am not sure on the procedure. The last rear gears I ever worked on were in my 65 Mustang 289. 8" rear, little bit different than our SC's.

Anyway, I wanted some input on the level of difficulty involved, and if it would just be better to take it to someone to get it done?

Thanks

Phil

This is probably one of those "if you have to ask..." type questions. The level of difficulty is high, and it takes some special equipment. It doesn't really cost that much to have the gears installed, if you just take the pumpkin off the car and bring it to a rear end shop. At the same time you should probably get the seals and bearings replaced too, and a new clutch pack for the Ford Traction-Loss diff.

I'll take on almost any job except for rearends. If you're a little off it'll wear the gears out in nothing flat. Way cheaper in the long run to have it done by a good shop.

Back