Rear Suspension....

MysticGohan51

ok i got new front struts.....i have the automatic air ride control but i was told on here i can get the regular t-bird ones on...haven't done it yet....but im hoping the advice on here is correct.....also......now i also know i need to change my rear struts/shocks.....do i need the air ride control ones back there or will regular ones be good there too......thanks in advance...

Don

Did we not discuss that the fronts are coil over SHOCKS?

Same story with the rear....you can if willing to give up the ARC switch to conventional MN12 rear shocks.

Originally posted by MysticGohan51
ok i got new front struts.....i have the automatic air ride control but i was told on here i can get the regular t-bird ones on...haven't done it yet....but im hoping the advice on here is correct.....also......now i also know i need to change my rear struts/shocks.....do i need the air ride control ones back there or will regular ones be good there too......thanks in advance...

Don

MysticGohan51, just an FYI...Duffy is correct, they are shock absorbers, not struts. Huge difference between the two.
Also, unless you have a MKVIII, you do not have "air-ride control". You simply have dual-position adjustable suspension firmness control". There are 2 settings...ON or OFF.

What brand/style of shocks did you buy for the front?

Just tryin' to help, gotta keep the terminology straight or else the information/advice you recieve could steer you in the wrong direction instead of help. Rest assured though, you're in the right place for help from very helpful people.

:)

'bird

well i went to autozone the other day.....and they sold me what it says on the box are gas ryder struts....so now you have me confused....did they send me the wrong part?..

Even Moog and www.rockauto.com have parts listed for the MN12 with struts...neither know what they are talking about on this design chassis. Point being is people sell stuff that will work but if you are speaking with people that actually know the car they us the correct terminology.

The T Birds from 83 up to 88 had front struts and rear shocks with coil springs...the MN12's all had front coil over shocks and rear shocks with coil springs. The Mark VIII's though similar to the MN 12 T Birds used air bags in the rear and had no coil springs in the rear.

Last edited:
Duffy,

Thanks a lot for everything.....you seem to be very knowledgable on these cars....also....how much would rear shocks be then....without the arc.....i am willing not to use it....thanks for your time....and let me know where it is i can get the shocks at the price you have listed.....Thanks....

Don

I have not done this on a SC but I have installed shocks on a 89 Cougar LS. Just buy the same brand and model type shocks you got for the front. That way the rebound and damping valving will match front to back. Rear shocks are a no brainer....2 bolts per.

Of course you will also need to remove and disconnect the electronic actuators on the top of the factory shocks. This will not bother the automatic system as long as you leave the switch in "firm" position.

rear shocks

Having just purchased my first 95 SC, I find myself dealing with bad rear shocks. Since the local parts stores do not list replacement shocks for the SC I am facing $200 each at the local ford dealer. I am not sure which way to turn. Are there other parts outlets that sell SC shocks for less than the dealer? If I replace the rear shocks with LX shocks will there be any significant problems with handling? Should I continue to run the front shocks with the controls until they fail?:confused:

You can also check out shox.com or supercoupeperformance.com for the aftermarket Tokico Illumina shocks who also make the OEM version, but for some reason the Illumina's don't seem to live as long. Several have used the Koni's or Blistens on their cars with good results. The koni's fronts are an insert, so your factory housing has to be used. If you want to keep the electronic ride control you will have to stay with either the OEM or the Illuminas.

Oh no........I had no idea. I've been living in a fog for the last year and I just did'nt know any of this. I have to call him tonight.
I feel so bad right now.:(

Back