Pumpkin Swap!

FearThis SC

I've have a complete pumpkin from a 90 SC with 3.27 for my 92 SC 5sp. So my question is, what should I do before I install the new pumpkin as far as maintenance, any parts I should replace in it before I make the swap. Also, has anyone done a write up on the process of doing such a swap? Step by Step would be great.

Thanks,
Calvin

Last edited:
i would just put in new axle seals in the 3.27 pumpkin, and a new speedo gear.

As far as swapping it out, it isnt hard at all. I took the right side brake caliper off, the 3 bolts that hold the spidle on(leave the rotor and the brake pad/caliper adapter on, and use a jack to support the spring just incase it decides to move, mine didnt) pop the axle out of the pumpkin, and remove it as a assembly. Take the driveshaft bolts out, then unhook the abs sensor, and set them on the subframe out of the way. Use a jack to support the pumkin, take the back 2 nuts off, have to hold the bolt up top with a 15mm wrench. Then take the 2 nuts off the pumpkin, and take the back rubber mount out of the way. Then take the front 2 nuts off, again you have to hold the bolt with a 15mm wrench. Then lower the pumpkin, and tip it so you can slide it out of the left axle, just keep working with it, tip and move it, there is enough room to do this. THen just do the reverse to put it back together. Sould take maybe 3hours top with hand tools, way faster if you have air powered tools.

Thanks Mod-- for the quick response. Sounds like a fairly simple swap. I guess a buddy and a 12 pack would help.......I have power tools, but a very small compressor. Need to get a bigger compressor.....guess Sear is getting some more of my money, Again!

Thanks again!
Calvin

Back