boss 302 swap

jer_89SC

I am swapping to a carbuerated boss 302 and was wondering if hedman shorty headers will fit and if there are any other clearance problems when swapping a SC 3.8 to a 5.0
any help would be appreciated

Well, when you say Boss 302, then none of the 5.0 headers will do you any good as the heads are totally different. I'm quite sure no one has bothered to put a Boss 302 in a Tbird as the new heads available for the regular 5.0 are much better anyway.

What motor exactly were you refering to?

its a 5.0L block with 351 Cleaveland heads and intake and boss 302 cam. The shorty headers are available for a 351M, which uses basically the same heads as a 351C. I wanted to know if stock 5.0L thunderbird could fit headers, as the clearance is almost the same

Ok, so it IS a Boss. Well the standard 5.0 takes headers no problem. It is pretty similar to a Mustang, in fact the MAC Mustang shorties will fit with no mods. However the MAC longtubes won't, and the BBK Mustang shorties won't either due to the routing path they chose. BBK does make a 5.0 shorty specifically for the Tbird.

Fact is that the 5.0 is much narrower than the 3.8. The only real problem is the location of the motor mounts (this is minor) and the location of the steering shaft (this is major). I tend to think that is where you will have the most trouble. It's worth a shot.

I'd save up some $$$ for some 4.11 or 4.33 gears too. :D Boss 302's weren't known for ahh... there torque production. :p In a lead sled like an SC, yer gonna need some serious gear to keep it from being a stone off the line.

Good luck though. It's always nice to see someone trying something different. Although I would have picked a Boss 351 myself. :) ;)

Steve

Cleveland and Boss 302 heads had different intake and exhaust port shapes compared to a regular in-line valve 302, so I would say that custom headers, or maybe modified 351C swap headers for a Mustang would be required.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

actually im still considering putting a boss 351 in it

will a T-5 fit in our cars? I know the driveshaft will have to be shortened but what is involved in swapping it in? It would be a better transmission for the abuse this car is going to get than the M5R2.

Actually, the T-5 is not better. However, you can put one in if you REALLY want to. The shifter ends up several inches forward. I would do a stroker 5.0 Boss first.

Back