pulling engine codes, and any suggestions

hockeydad2

i just bought another 90 sc as a project. it was running when i looked at it. the owner said it was over heating because it needed a fan and the coolant wasn't moving when the radiator cap was removed, he had replaced the water pump. i had the car towed home and started it several times last weekend. it seemed to run ok, no white smoke, no water in the oil. after doing a search on this board, i started it, and it was running about three to four minutes, i had heat from the heater. i then turned on the air conditioning to see if the fan would kick on. as soon as i turned of the air conditioning the engine died. now it will not start. turns over kinda normal (almost seems to start) then dies in 1 or 2 seconds. it was low on fuel, i since put 5 gallons in it. also tried new cam sensor. tomorrow i want to pull the plugs and check the compression. i'll also check for spark and if the fuel pump is working. also can the codes be pulled using the "check engine light"? i've done it on a 87 taurus using a jumper wire and the check engine light. thanks for any help. bob

Back