Help, With Ingnition Timing

racer88

I just got my engine put in after a fresh rebuilt. I set the timing according to the Haynes and Chilton manual. When I tried to start the engine today all it does it pop, I know that it is in the timing.

So do I have to timing 180 degrees out or could it be the cam sensor or crank sensor?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bennie

Just how did you set the timing? Are you talking about setting the cam sensor in accordance with instructions? The base ignition timing is set at 10 Degrees BTDC by the fixed position of the crank sensor.

When I rebuilt the engine I set the timing by the timing marks on the gears. Then I put on the timing chain cover and the oil pan, Then when I put the syncronizer in, I turned the engine till the marks on the harmonic balancer were set to 26 degrees ATDC, just as the manual says to do when installing the syncronizer.

Question: Should I have left the timing at zero degrees when I put in the syncronizer, since the timing is already set to 10 degrees?

No....you should have followed the directions concerning the synchronizer installation like you did. It IS possible though you have the device installed 180 degrees out of position. The 26 degrees ATDC spec. is supposed to be with the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. You may not be in fact on the compression stroke.

180 degrees out is what I was thinking too. When I put the syncronizer in, I didn't have the push rods and rockers on the head yet, so it is very possible that I didn't get it on the compression stroke. The engine tries to start but it just pops a few times and that is it. I will reset the timing.

Thanks for the help.

Back