GP for Custom Rods and Pistons?

plev72

Hey guys, this is more of a get info than an actually group purchase at the moment. I know that there are a number of you out there with blown engines (like me!). I want to do a high end rebuild. I'd like to get pistons and rods rated for at least 500-550 hp (which should be over 400 at the wheels). I saw that one of the guys had gotten custom 6.2" rods. From what I'm reading, we are much better off going with longer rods this style. I was wondering if there is interest out there (and if anyone might have a POC) to try and get some kind of a group discount on high-performance rods and custom pistons... we could discuss compression ratio, but I'd figure probably somewhere around 8.5 or 8.7:1 and I'd lean towards the 6.2" rods. Anyway, just a thought, please give feedback if you would be interested in doing something like this, or if you have contacts for someone who could actually make this happen.
Thanks,
Paul

Contact ROSS Racing Pistons www.rosspistons.com They make awsome custom pistons and I believe a few of the people on the fastest SC list are already running them. If you want to get a group buy on pistons going them I am in.

I am up for a set of custom made ones. i will be using Eagel I beam rods for a 351w and need some made up.

Keep us updated after you contact Ross.

Thanks,

Zach

How long are the rods you are going with? I'm hoping to pick up some 6.2" or possibly a little bit longer if we can fit them. I won't be able to dig a lot for group by details on pistons until I get my engine taken apart (hopefully next week) 'cause it will probably have to be bored some :-(

After that I hope to get things done fairly quickly.

I figure with 4 sets we should start to get more promising as that would be 3 x 8 and should involve a reduction of labor on their part.

paul

Did you see the combination SC rods and pistons @ 5.96 (ish) on... I Think it was supersix? Not on my computer so I don't have the link handy, but they wanted $1050 for the Rods and the Pistons which I didn't think was too bad. My car was towed to the shop today, hopefully I will get feedback by sometime next week. I am planning on finding out what the max length they recommend is and trying to go with something very close to that... if I can go 6.3 or 6.4 I probably will - depending on how cost prohibitive it is.

There will be a group buy on rods/rings/pistons, final details are being worked out, but info will be available in the next day or two. From what I'm seeing regarding pricing it will be something definately worth checking out.

Paul

i already have the rods and pistons but i am interested in waht piston rings are being offered and if I can buy those?

Thanks,

Zach

Sorry to be a bit slow on keeping up with this post guys, I'm actually in DC at the moment job interviewing (looks promising). Paul and I have spent a great deal of time discussing plans for the GP and it seems to me that he has come up with a great deal both in terms of quality and in terms of pricing. I will definately be in on this purchase. Paul has promised final details on this GP ASAP (which is great because I'd really love to have my car back together one of these days).

Thanks for your patience,

Paul

Sorry guys, this group purchase is not dead... just stalled for a bit. Paul has promised to get everything sorted and settled as soon as possible. He wants to be able to answer all pertinent questions regarding the rod/piston combo prior to the details to the group buy being posted. Price has apparently already been established, but there is apparently some discussion or something is unclear regarding the compression ratio.

Paul

What will the weight of the pistons be?
Are They are forged?
How much will the wrist pins weigh,
What are the wrist pins made of?
Will the wrist pins be flowting or a press fit?
Will the pistons & wrist pins come with spiral locks or can I get buttons?
How much will the rods weigh?
what shape will the rods be?
What are the rods made of?
What will be the finish on the rods be?
What is the bran name of the rods,& pistons?
How long will this GP take?
Will I have to wait untill GP is over to receive the parts?

thanks randy

Answers to the many questions received

Ok, I have been reluctant to start the buy sooner as originally planned due to a few questions I didn't or don't have answers to. The following info will get the buy started and unanswered or additional questions will be answered ASAP.

What will the weight of the pistons be?
Are They are forged? Yes
How much will the wrist pins weigh?
What are the wrist pins made of?
Will the wrist pins be floating or a press fit? Floating
Will the pistons & wrist pins come with spiral locks or can I get buttons? spiral locks
How much will the rods weigh?
what shape will the rods be? Hbeam
What are the rods made of? 4340 forging
What will be the finish on the rods be?
What is the brand name of the rods,& pistons? Pistons are Diamond Racing, rods are TBD
How long will this GP take? Buy will begin Friday July 11th and close Monday July 28th. Approximate ship date will be 2 weeks from the close of the buy.
Will I have to wait untill GP is over to receive the parts? Approximate ship date will be 2 weeks from the close of the buy. Pistons will be built to order and as a result will determine the length of time till shipment.

There is more information which is being compiled and will be added as the day progresses. An html page will be posted today with more information and payment info. Cost for the purchase will be as follows:
1-4 sets $924.99 + shipping
5+ sets $842.96 + shipping
8+ sets $825.95 + shipping
Included in each set will be 6 pistons, 6 pins with spiro locks, 6 rods and a complete total seal ring set. Pistons will be pre machined to accept pins. Options will include Swain coating as well as bearings and roller rockers at a discounted rate (TBA).

Paul

Payment accepted will be Paypal, certified check or money order.

Will the piston and rods be made per individual specs? Or will we all have to agree on the overbore sizing on pistons and rod length?

Val

rods

are the bolts for the connecting rod end cap machined serew bolt,or machined bolt & nut? are the bolts made by ARP, etc. also is the coating your talking about, is that for high temp. like for nitrous application? thanks

Back