flowmaster cat-back w/out res

89_cougarxr7

hey fellas (and ladies). ive heard that the flowmaster cat-back force II system sounds pretty damn throaty with the res,but what would it be like without the res. especially with kook headers and SCP high flow cats? thanks alot guys. take it easy

--joel--

I have the flowmaster force II but with the stock res it has more of a drone (sp) then anything. I'm thinking of redoing the cats and puting no res in this time not sure what it would be like?

hey, well let me know how it comes out. i really dont want a res but im afraid of how it'll sound. peace

--joel--

I ran the car the other day without mufflers and it sounds good if not maybe better. I will let you know how it goes

Flowmaster Force 2 was very noisey without the resonator. I tried just using the make-up pipe for V8's, that they include in the kit. You can only do this on a 5 speed with the 3rd cat (Y pipe) & small stock resonator. I couldn't stand the dronning inside the car, so I ended-up cutting the downpipes & installed their resonator in the normal way.
Jim.

is the droning worse than just the stock system without mufflers? thats what i have now and i dont mind it at all, actually i sorta like it. other than the drone how did it sound? like when you got on it a bit, was it hariy?

--joel--

I have it w/o cats. I have the resonator. Mine sounds good under 3000 rpm and has a throaty muscle car drone about 1900 rpms. Over 3000 it sounds like sorta ricey. I hope it tones down once its been on the car for a while. I've only had it on there for about 3 weeks. I have heard some SC's without the resonators and they sound like hondas. Mine just sounds like a deep V6, not like a V8 but definately not a honda.

Maybe I could put an H-pipe in there where the cats should be, I wonder how that would effect it?

What I was thinking of doing...

I too am currently have the Flowmaster Cat-back on my 89 SC (I installed the 92 style tank). For now I have it running up to the stock y-pipe and resonator. With the resonator, it is very "loud" at part throttle acceleration (I guess you could call it "drone". I don't mind drone, but I have to admit, the sound it makes with the factory resonator installed is not too pleasing to the ear, and can only mostly be heard in the car. I have had another 89 SC before which had no resonator and stock downpipes and cats (again, 92 style tank), and it sounded not as loud (drone?), but at higher RPM's, it did sound like a rice burner, but the flow and power was improved.

Now, what I would suggest would be this. I am not sure of the part number, but simply take one of the Flowmaster dual inlet (probably 2.5" or 2.25" dual inlet), single outlet (2.5" to fit the Flowmaster cat-back) muffler and use that as a resonator. I will probably be doing that instead of a Magnaflow Resonator. I also already have 2 hi-flo cats and am going to get 2.25" custom downpipes made. It will be interesting to find out how all this will sound and perform!!

Phil

Back