Air intake question???

studpike

Hi, I am trying to figure this out. Which one is better? A MAC CAI(cold air intake)system or an intake with a K&N 9" cone filter right after the MAFS? Thanks, Tony

The key to a cold air intake is to avoid sucking air from the engine bay into it.

The MAC is going to be better than just a K&N stuffed onto the end of the MAF.

But if you want to see the filter in the engine bay, Magnum powers came out with a "cold air divider" that created a boxed section to keep hot engine air out when the hood is closed.

http://www.magnumproductsonline.com/new.html

Thanks

Thanks for the help on that Mike. I think the CAI looks best with a MAC CAI since it's got the added chrome tube that leads down to the "hidden" filter. Thanks, Tony

The ZR intake is a much better option than the MAC intake. The ZR intake is properly designed so that there is straight air flow into the MAF. The MAC intake is not, they have an elbow right before the MAF, which causes uneven airflow through the tube, and so depending on how you rotate your MAF, you will get significantly different readings.

Didn't mean to. I think any of the various intake systems out there from SCP, to ZR, to MAC can give good performance.

The main point is that the worst solution is just a K&N filter bolted to the end of the MAF sucking in hot engine compartment air.

Back