larger opening thermostats

tripntx

I've checked with the local AutoZone's and O'Reilly's but none of them could get the Art Carr thermostats. All they could get where the smaller holed ones stamped with 54mm on them.

I purchased a thermo housing from a fellow board member that had a 330-180 thermorstat in it. The opening was a lot larger than the replacement ones from the local parts store and all brass.

I ordered the Mr Gasket 195 thermostat (p/n 4365) from Summit for approx $8.00. It looks identical to the all brass Art Carr and has the large diameter opening.

Approximately what size opening does the one you got from Summit have?
Also, does it have the "weep hole" or ball bearing valve thingy on it?

You lost me on the "weep hole or ball bearing valve".

The opening appeared to be approximately 25 to 50 percent larger than the ones from part outlets. It looked identical to the all brass ArtCarr I have.

I forget what they call it, but the thermostats for our cars have a little hole in them about 1/16" in Dia. that allows air to pass through, helping to purge the system of air bubbles. The original thermostats had a small ball bearing in this hole that would act as a one way valve. They do sell thermostats for our cars that are missing this hole but some people just drill their own small hole through it.

I didn't notice the weep hole.

All I was looking at was the size of the actual opening. Much larger on the one from Mr Gasket than the ones such as Stant.

WHAT TO DO

I took the themostat out cut the bracket holding the cooper plug.........removed plug and spring ..........got a washer to fit in the themostat with a 9/16 hole in it.................bent the bracket over the washer.......................replaced it...............runs 130-160 no matter how much you beat it.................FAST FREDDIE :cool: :cool:

Back