AC fan

Blown95

Just a quick question.

I have a '95 SC, which has 2 stcok fans, in front of radiator and back of radiator, plus a fan on the IC.
Last year I did the wire trick, so now I can operate the back fan and the IC fan from a dash switch. Basically just overides the computer to switch the fans on when I want them on. The computer will still turn the back fan on when the engine gets warm enough, and when the AC is turned on. Over the weekend I noticed that when I turned on the AC, the engine got a bit warmer than usuall. Happened only twice, but still lead me to start investigating.
I started the car and turned the AC on. The back fan kicked on. I checked the front fan, but no go. Engine was very cool at this time, so not sure if that was a factor.
Should the front fan kick on when the AC is turned on, or when the engine gets hot? Need to see if the front fan is even working before the summer heat kicks in.

Blown95

I have the same question about the small pusher fan in front of the condensor on 94 + models. I can't find anything in the manuals either; but I was lead to believe that it's because of the 134a refrigerant being less efficient than the old R12. So it only comes on if the a/c can't reach the selected temp.
Jim.

You guys should probably check to make sure that your front fan actually turns. I was chaging my oil and just for the heck of it tried to rotate the front fan only to find out that it was frozen in place, maybe for lack of being used or something. Turning it with a screwdriver seemed to free it up after a while.

Last edited:
I'll check mine, but I'd still like to know how it's supposed to work. Is it a back-up for the a/c or the cooling system?
Jim.

When I had my 88 Turbo Coupe I think that I recall someone from the NATO website saying that the auxilary fan was supposed to come one when the engine temp reached 220. But that was for the turbo 4 cyl. Not sure if these cars are calibrated the same.

The pusher fan on 94-95 SC's is a backup in the event the puller fan fails to cool the coolant. It works like this. The factory setting for the puller fan to come is 220 degress which is right about at the end of M in norm on the gauge if the water temperature sending unit is functioning properly. If for some reason the coolant temperature continues to raise the computer will/should activate the pusher fan at right around 228 degrees. So not seeing the pusher fan come on is a good thing. One way to check it is to run a KOEO (key on engine off) test with a code reader. The PCM will test both fans briefly (about five seconds) by activating them at the beginning of the test.

The pusher fan does not come on while the AC is running.

Last edited:
Thanks Jimmy, that solves that old mystery.

Jim (3 coupes !!!!- 1990.1993 &1994)

Back