broken crank bolt?

ehonrc51

Well my 90 S.C. harmonic balancer finally gave out at 161,000 miles. So I to make a long story short I had a busted crank bolt.
After starring at the car for a couple of days and scratching my head on how to fix it with as little work as possible I came up with this neat little tool that will stay in my tool box.
I manufactured a piece of hardend steel to fit into the snout on the crank putting a 3/16 hole right in the center.
I pulled the fan out this morning about 9:30 I grabbed the cordless drill and put a 3/16" drill bit inside using the piece that I made as a guide I started to drill(keep in mind that the piece was made to find the center of the broken bolt)after what I thought was about half way thru the bolt I switched drill bits to a left handed 3/16" bit I put the drill in reverse and started drilling again the left handed bit grabbed on to the broken bolt and walked it all the way out with out a problem. All this took approx 30 to 45 minutes and all I had to take out was the fan.
Maybe I was lucky maybe not all I know is that this tool will stay with me.
All I have to do now is get a new balancer reinstall put the fan back in and I'am ready to get the bird back on the road.

Thanks again to all the people who pointed me in the right direction of a busted harmonic balancer..............................

That's a neat idea.....much better than trying to sight the center for drilling a pilot hole using a hand mirror hanging on a bent coat-hanger (that's how I did it.....) How did you go about removing the remaining broken balancer "sleeve" from the crankshaft?

Believe it or not it pulled right off.......Makes me kindof wonder if something else is wrong...........

No, I don't think anything else is wrong......You just caught a break! (take 'em where you find 'em). All 3 times I broke a balancer, it sheared off flush with the seal on the timing chain cover. Whatever you do, don't re-install that old balancer (even if it looks just fine). Get a BHJ if you can swing it, or at least a NEW stocker........

Back