I want to eliminate the speed sensitive steering..

TommyT

What do I need to do it without it being "gypsy"? I'm tired of the erratic power boost in turns.

All you have to do is unplug the EVO on the power steering pump.

I don't know if that is your problem though.

i tried unplugging that before and didnt like it steers to easy at highway speeds to touchy

thanks

Sounds to me like you may need to replace your steering rack. I had the same problem with my SHO, which has similar VAPS system, and the fix was a new steering rack. The way it was explained to me was that seals inside the rack fail and it can not hold constant pressure. So when you turn the wheel and there is feedback, it is constantly having to rebuild pressure that is passing by the worn seals. There is a way on the SHO that you can set the steering system to the stiffness you desire. I do not know if this works but if you go to www.shoforum.com and then search you will find it.

How about unplugging it, then putting a bypass valve in the pressure line that is hooked up as an 'H' with the return line, and an adjustable petcock on there to bleed off some off the assist ?? I remember seeeing a magazine article in Super Ford magazine about 10 years ago where they did that on a late 60s Ford vehicle to try get some more steering feel out of it.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back