Stainless Steel front Brake Lines

Mike8675309

Has anyone had luck sourcing Braided Stainless Steel front brake lines for our cars?

Tirerack shows some for the rears, but not the front.

Thanks.

It looks like Tirerack does have a complete kit for $120. They have one for models w/ rear discs and also one for those w/ rear drums.

The parts don't come up for the 89 Tbird SC on Tireracks Website. And I don't find any reference to the lines on KVR's website. I would only want the brake lines, not a full kit from KVR.

I'll e-mail KVR and see.

Woops, found something on KVR

Year Make Model Part # Application Retail Price

90-89
FORD
THUNDERBIRD
All w/ rear disc
$185.00 USD

KaChing.

well where have i been,

here's what you need.

get brake adapter, from 7/16 IF. female to -3 AN male

get SS brake line universal fit. -3 AN female both sides about 20 inches in length, leaves room if you do a brake upgrade too.

get -3 AN banjo end male

you can get parts from either EARL'S or Russell

for earl's go to holley.com or russell russellperformance.com

i like russell better, because they have angled banjos and DOT approved lines, and you can get russell from autozone or summitracing.com

i spent way too much time learning about breaks to get this info.
but i think it was worth it

this is just for the fronts. i haven't checked things out for the rear yet.

have fun
jim

Much thanks. So the adapter:
get brake adapter, from 7/16 IF. female to -3 AN male

will allow you to hook the line to the junction block for the steel line? That was my biggest question mark so far.

Thanks.

yeah thats it. put that size adapter between the hard line from the pump and the SS line you will install.

don't forget, for fronts only, i haven't looked into swapping rears yet. from looking at them, there is going to be more pieces.

jim

more questions ask away....

That should be it. For now.

I have a pair of PBR Dual Piston calipers to install and they cam with new hoses. The threads are different on these hoses compared to the stock, but your information allows me to find the right adapter before I install. I'm not sure if I can get the stainless steel ones yet or not, so the adapter can get me through allowing the new hoses for now. Money is tight.

Thanks.

hold on.....

where did you get your calipers??? how much??

did you purchase them for a mustang application? if so the hoses you got, (obviously not SS) won't work, especially with the adapter that i mentioned.

1 i don't think the hoses will be long enough, BUT if they are
2 you won't need the adapter, because the thread should be correct to attach to the car's hard line. but you should confirm this, go to napa with the new hose, and have them check it, they have IF fittings there.
3 check out www.summitracing.com for the SS lines, they are relatively cheap, and
4 you don't really want to have to open up the brake system down the road and have to bleed them again.

at summit's website, put in p/n's RUS-656052, and RUS-656222, those are for the 21, and 20 inch universal fit lines from Russell. i just checked, they are both on back order. also i noticed something funny, the longer hose is cheaper. either one will be fine, just don't get the 18 inch one, its too short.

you can also get the adapters from summit also, RUS-641311
and the banjo RUS-640511.

jim

ps, in my earlier post, to clarify the adapter, is 7/16 24 IF (internal flare)

Yep, mustang take off application. I figured that with the proper adapter you mentioned, I could take the hose from the mustang and go to NAPA and try to figure out the proper adapter. As the adapter you mentioned will have the right thread on one side, just not the other.

The stock mustang hose does not fit, according to the article on how to do this.

I got the brakes from FiveOMotorsports and at the time they were about $128 a pair with brackets, hoses, and pads. Now they are up to about $147.00 These are NEW take offs.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/get_SuspenBrakes.html

I work for a Concrete Ready-Mix company and can deal with local Hydraulic vendors to find fittings as well.

Thanks for all the info. If I can swing it, I'll get the SS off the bat. I'm working on creating a relocation bracket for the calipers right now to support the 11.57 Mark VIII rotors. I'm going to build it out of some hard wood to prototype fitment, and then have a machine shop work with me to build the final pieces.

Or you could just call kenny brown performance adn they will make them for your model. It takes a little while because they are custom made but they fit correctly.
theid

Back