Speed Sensor/ Mileage Counter

Billabong089

My speedometer rarely works, it won't work if im doing smooth driving, if I get on it or when I acceralate it will bounce up to the speed i'm going and then bounce around a little more and just go back to zero, I'm not sure if its the sensor or the gear... Any ideas? Also my trip odometer and regular odometer seem to not be reading the miles right, I went 2/10th's of a mile when it should have read 5 miles. Does the mileage work off the speed sensor?

Also, the last problem if I acceralate hard on a turn, its only happened twice, but I got a check engine light which goes away 2 seconds later... I know I should get my codes read but any idea what that could be? Also if I got my codes read would it show why that check engine light came on, otherwise, it only comes on when I turn like that.

actually any hard acceralition like, first to 5000 rpms then to second to 4500rpms will trigger that light to come on... I'm wondering if its related to the speed sensor...

Anyway Please let me know what you guys think and also I called up a shop and they said $70 to read the codes and they want me to drop my car off, I was like ummm can't you just hook it up real quick and they were like um no, and I was like umm I could buy a code reader for that price. GOOD BYE .. lol

Speedometer input is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) located on the side of your transmission. It is also an input the EEC and the speed control.

To answer your question...

I am just about 100% sure it is your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that has gone bad. They can be had at Autozone for a nominal price, probably under 50 bucks. I think you must reuse your gear. Real easy to change, just the one hold down bolt, pull it out, plug the connector into the new one, put the gear on the new one, put it back in and you're done!!

Hope this helps

Phil

Ok, well what I've been noticing is that speedometer will move if I floor it or acceralate hard. Also that 5amp fuse for the guage cluster (lights) blew out for the second time... what could be the cause of that? It happened like 3 weeks ago and just did it again today.

Any idea why the fuse would keep blowing? It blew out again for the second night in a row... what should I look at? Its for the dash lights.

Back