trying to remove ring on sc top

JWXR7

I am in the process of modifying an sc top and I wanted to remove the big nut to get it out of the way while I'm working on it. How do you guys get this ring off (with blue x in pic) with out destroying it? I've tried a strap wrench a huge pipe wrench and I even rigged up a spanner wrench and it doesn't wanna turn. I think it budged a little but never seemed to break free.
Is there an o-ring inside, because I figured it would melt the o-ring when I get to welding on it if I didn't remove it?

thanks

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 192
It is screwed and on and as the other poster thought it is a left-hand thread. A little heat might help loosen it up. I believe it has some pretty good Lock-tite in it. There should be an O-ring inside as well.

sctoprg1.jpg

sctoprg2.jpg

just dont hammer it, trust me;) . Usually heat works (propane torch). I do have a top with a broken nut on it (the part that threads on the IC tube) and I've remove the retaining nut. If you're intersested in a trade of sorts:D. If not keep heating till you see smoke from the burning rubber come out:eek:

Last edited:
geez

That would figure, left handed thread :eek:. I hope I didn't bung the threads up because I did get it to move in the tightening direction. There should be some marking on stuff like that when it is reverse threaded, its quite a pain. Oh well, Thank you very much for the info everyone.

Back