Just a few questions

Jake

I just received my accumulator from Prior this afternoon and I'm now trying to install it. I read in here that you need to remove the windshield wipers and cowl. How do I remove the wiper assembly? I must be retarted, everytime I try to work on this car it gives me trouble. Also it says to pump the brakes 20 to 30 times or until rock hard. Well my brakes seem to be rock hard on the first pump. Does this mean I have air in the system? And will I need to bleed the brakes before I put take the old accumulator off?

Hey Jake, Well you dont really need to take off the wipers and cowl. I just took all the screws out of the cowl piece on the drivers side. Its a little tight getting it out, but it will come out. Im not sure why your brakes are hard on the first pump, but just keep pumping. Its better to over pump then under pump. 30 good full pumps should be fine. You wont have to bleed the system as long as you dont let the resivor get dry. After you get the new accumulator in, turn the key foward but not start it, the pump could run up to 60 sec, just keep your eye on the resivior so the accumulator doesn't drink all your fluid. Just add whatever fluid is needed and go for a drive (with no damn Flashing Lights!)
Good luck Jake

Thanks for the info Boosted. I was kinda worried about the compressed nitrogen in the accumulator.

Hi

I didn't remove my cowl either. It is tight, but not too bad. it came out easy, and went in a little more difficult, but took only about 5 minutes. I too had the hard pedal on the first or second push...just pump it even though it's stiff(for peace of mind). Use an allen socket...I first used an aleen wrench on one of those Stanley multi wrenches(folding set kind) and snaped the handle. remember to only put the new accumulator on hand tight.
Tom

A question about your brake symptoms

I'm a little concerned about the hard pedal you are experiencing... Does the Hydraulic pump kick on when you turn the KEY ON? If so, good.... If not, it may not be the accumulator that is the source of the problem. If the pump doesn't cycle, then you may have a bad "Brown Pump Relay" or a bad pressure sensor/switch, or (worst case) a bad hydraulic pump. Of course, if the car has been sitting for a while without engaging the pump (KEY ON), the operating pressure could have dropped to the point that there is no "assist" resulting in the hard pedal.
Just wondering.......

Forgot to mention...

With Larry's help, and diagnostics, I also replaced my accumulator and relay which was also bad. It caused the pump to continualy cycle even with the key out of the ignition. You should replace both if that is the case, and the Brown Pump Relay is only $12-14 at autozone. And Larry, Thank you again for your help!
-Tom

Well I replaced the leaky brake switch that goes into the proportioning valve. It was leaking so bad that every morning I had to check the fluid. Of course I forgot and the fluid went out of sight. I filled the reservoir and figured I would bleed them after I put the brake switch in, but never did. Then I replaced the brown relay. Now the accumulator. Do you think I should bleed the brakes first? Thanks!

The pump cycles everytime I push on the brakes and the firm ride lights up on the dash. Thanks Larry for your help and helping others. Everything I've printed to help me with the brakes has your input in it. thanks again.

Accumulator is the culprit

If the pump cycles every time you hit the brakes, that is a sure sign of a bad accumulator. Even with air in the lines, a properly functioning accumulator would maintain system pressure allowing the pump to cycle about every third or fourth time you push the pedal. You would have spongy brake response though. Replace the accumulator (and bleed the lines if you think you got air in the system when you changed the leaky switch)

First, bleed the brakes (quite simple to do, and always start at the wheel farthest from the master cylinder, and move your way up to the closest wheel). If after that your pump still cylces, let it fully charge and disengage then turn key off. Count the number of times you have to press the pedal before it gets rock hard. I think you should get no less than 10ish (i get 19-21). If you get lower than 10, you may have a bad pump.

BTW, are any of the brake lights one? (ABS or BRAKE)

The antilock light comes on during acceleration and braking. The brake light comes on very seldom. Only when the fluid gets low will the brake light come on. So you're telling me that I should beable to hit the brakes 20 times, then the pump will cycle? I thought I just read 3 to 4 times. Will someone straighten me out. thanks

Two different things.......

You should get at least 2 or 3 applications of the brakes (under normal driving conditions) before the pump cycles to re-pressurize the system.

You should pump the brake pedal around 20 times (with the KEY OFF) in order to fully depressurize the system (rock hard pedal)

I stated you should get around 12-20 pumps of the pedal on a fully charged system before the pedal goes hard (when car is off). My pump cycles on after about 7 presses.

Sorry Mike, I read it wrong 3 times, guess this florida heat is getting to me already. (I have an excuse for everything.) Well thanks everyone for all the info. Didn't want to put the accumulator on until I got some info. Gonna bleed the brakes, put accumulator on and will let you guys know how it works. I feel alot more confident now. I sure hope this fixes it, the brakes were like this ever since I bought it last year in april. Thanks again. Jake

oooooooooo..I let my bad accumulator go on for a year before replacing it. Ended up burning out the hydraulic pump. Luckily I found a good used one 'cause they aren't cheap!!! Hopefully yours didn't bugger up.

Well I didn't know how bad it was on the pump until I found this web site. I didn't even know there was a web site for our cars until one day I seen this SC to the right of me at a light. I said to my wife (What does SCCoA mean? I'm so glad there is a site like this. Probably would've sold this car by now. But I fixed the brakes this morning and everything seems good. Got a little worried for a minute, I must have over filled the reservoir because it started leaking. Thanks for everyone's help on this. was affraid I was gonna have to take this to a shop. Never seen the dash without the brake lights:). Thanks again Jake

Back