vaps?

lessonintorque

how do you know when your vaps is bad? :confused: Power steering fluid leaking, but we cant find any loose connections. I also would like to know how many washers it has on it, the book is very vage. Bought a new pump and had to get the vaps unit off of a junked sc (cause ford doesnt make parts for it anymore) and im not sure if thats my problem. Thanks in advance for any info.

addition to

I ju sted wanted to add alittle to my first post. Ther reason that I am wondering wether or not, my vaps is bad. After just putting this motor in I noticed that I was leaking power steering fluid. First I thought it was a hose. Replaced that, still leaking at the return line. So since I put a hose clamp on there, I figured i should use a better clamp. After switching to a better clamp It still leaks. I took the pump out to inspect the housing, hoping to see a crack or something like that. No such luck. Nothing looks wrong at all. I tried blowing in the return hose to see if there was a blockage. My question is: Does the pump have to be running for the return inlet to be open? I did replace the 0-rings on the vaps when I put a new pump on before replaced the engine. Maybe I put on one to many, It's been such a long time I don't remember where they originaly whent. The new pump had a whole kit of rings in there, and wasn't too helpful to say where they went or for what model. I got the pump out now and would like to find out some info before I go through the trouble of putting it all back together, just to pull it all back out again. Pain in the ding ding. If someone could please help me out I would greatlly apreciate it!....Thank you very much

Wish I could give you a definitive answer.

I've had/have a power steering leak and recently took after it. But I haven't had time to verify anything yet so I don't know if I did anything.

I found what appeared to be P/S fluid leaking around the connection of the valve to the housing on the P/s pump. So I pulled the I/C tubes, moved the washer bottle and pulled the hose that goes to it off. Then I tried to tighten it into the housing of the p/s pump and found that it can't really get tighter. This due to the fact it hits everything if you tright to tighten it. Seeing it move in the housing though makes me think it could leak.

Regardless, I buttoned everything back up, reattached the hose at the valve there, and have driven the car for 8 days so far and it appears there is no p/s leak anymore.

How did that happen? I'm thinking that maybe it was the line attached to the valve (the one I removed and reinstalled) that was leaking a bit from not being tight. I had changed motor mounts last year and had to reinstall everything. So I guess, I would make sure that hose is tight.

Now I just need to nail down what appears to be a small oil leak. Damn passenger side valve cover I'm afraid.

thanks

Ive found the problem... The return line blew, and i tried to replace it but i used fuel line (which blew!) So on the third time I got smart and went and paid 24$ and got a hose specifically for ps return... it worked! HA HA it worked!!! I was stoked. So i went for victory beer and It started smoking, NO!!!! the high pressure line then blew spraying ps fluid on the header! Oh well I guess I didnt have anything important to do today any way< back to work>:confused: Thanks though

Back