Front Suspension

GARoese

Just got my car back from having a state inspection done. It failed for just about everything in the front end. They said that it needed upper and lower control arms and Torsion strut Bushings. Is this a complete list of parts that need to be replaced? Is the front end rebuild kit available from Super Coupe performance the way to go for all the parts? Can the ball joints be replaced separately on the upper and lower controll arms? Any help is gladly accepted. at this point it looks like a good Memorial weedend project.

The lower control arm ball joint can be replaced separately but frankly, hardley not worth the effort. Buy the entire lower control arm and save yourself some time in the long run. The upper ball joint is part of the upper control arm and both need to be replaced as part of an assembly. The "Torsion" strut rod as you call it is just a strut rod and has bushings at both ends. I do not recommend poly bushings in this application (I beleive Moog makes them as a "problem solver" as they have been known to crack. You have tie rod ends as well but that is pretty much it unless you count the inner tie rod end to be replaceable. Technically it can be done with the rack in the car but I would imagine a real PITA.

Some info as a starting point.....

Here is what I know about the front suspension:

Upper ball joints are part of the upper control arms (not available as a separate part). They are made by TRW, so shop around for the best deal.
Lower ball joints are available as a separate part from the lower control arm, but if you need new bushings as well, you may be better off getting the whole lower control arm assembly (including the ball joints). Also a TRW part.
Bushings are available for the front suspension from Moog. (these are the stock rubber type) Shop around for these as well.

The bushing sets from MN12 performance ( www.mn12performance.com )are "top of the line", so you may want to consider them depending on your budget and the extent of the repairs that you need to do.

I don't have the actual TRW and Moog part numbers with me, but if you would like, I will get them to you.....just let me know.

(I'm facing the same front end issues with my '92, so I have been researching this for a while......)

If you decide to do this work make sure you have the car back on its wheels before you do final torquing of the related fasteners. Don'e ask me how I learned that one...:)

I did my front end in Feb. I posted all the p/n around March. Just looked up the post and I copied and am pasting the info here. I hope this helps.

frond end parts
Six weeks ago I rebuilt the front end. Heres the brands and cost. 1990 SC. Unfortunetly, work has been very busy and I haven't been able to touch my car since. I have purchased all parts to do the rear end, just no days off.

Parts from O’Reilly (AutoZone competitor)
Moog bushings
K8659 Strut rod to frame 1 kit 39.99

K8680 Strut rod to lower control arm 1 kit 10.99

K8757 Stabilizer bar kit 1 kit 14.99
Two other sizes K8756 & K8752, need to purchase all three to see which one fits your car.

K8596 left upper control arm 1 ea. 59.99

K8598 right upper control arm 1 ea. 59.99
Both upper control arms where complete with ball joint and c arm to frame bushings installed. They were manufactured by TRW.

Auto Drive
ES300RL outer tie rods 2 needed 20.99 ea.

Cardone
22-215 rack & pinion 1 ea. 89.99

Parts from John Nolan Ford
F1SZ-5K484-A stab bar end links 2 needed 32.50 ea.

F5SZ-3079-B left lower C Arm 1 ea. 96.00

F5SZ-3078-B right lower C Arm 1 ea. 96.00
Both lower control arms came with ball joint installed, c arm to frame bushings, c arm to shock bushings. They were manufactured by TRW. They didn’t include c arm to strut rod bushings.

F3LY-3B477-A spindle nut 2 needed approx. 6.00 ea.

johnnolanparts@yahoo.com

I do not have phone number here at work with me. They usually reply the next business day after sending them an email. Two lower c arms (c arm to frame and c arm to shock bushings already installed, ball joint in place), and two stab link kits were only $12 or so for shipping to TX.

I just looked up the info from the discounts page here.

John Nolan Ford is offering SCCoA members Ford original equipment replacement parts at "wholesale" pricing (+ shipping). Contact Parts Manager Ron Young at 1-800-837-8114 and simply tell him you are a Super Coupe Club of America member.

John Nolan Ford, Inc.
3250 Highland Ave. at Ridge Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45213
Local #513-631-6965
Fax #513-631-5344
Toll Free #1-800-837-8114

On the web at:
www.nascarnolan.com

Found out it not as bad as first though. the SC only needs upper control arms and Strut bushings. Maybe I'll get it done this weedend. Then I can have it reinspected again. Thanks for all the good advice and tips on this job.

Back