PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger play??

MTTod
05-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Just spent some time looking at an 89 XR7 and need some info on the supercharger and ignition. The car has 159K on it.

First off the supercharger belt is broken and it looks like there has been oil leaking and blowing back over the top. As far as play here's the question, when I turn the pulley it feels like there's slop before it actually starts turning the rotors inside. Best comparison would be like a worn out rearend. Is this normal or not?

Other problem is as soon as I hit start I get a noise like the starter hits then everything goes dead... no power anywhere. Pull the battery cable for a bit and power's back. Is this a solenoid problem or something else?

I'm not sure about this car. It's cheap but it's pretty beat. Not sure I want to take on this big a project.

92strokedbird
05-13-2003, 09:36 PM
The supercharger has a isolator betwen the nose drive and the rotors,it has a spring in the isolator.The play in this isolator has about a 15-20 degree of a rotation.I dont have any info bout the starter problem.The charger sounds fine though,usually does not need rebuild till over 200,000 km.

phils89sc
05-13-2003, 10:23 PM
1. The starter problem is more than likely caused by corrosion either in the terminal, on the cable's, or on the starter ground wire. Check all of these and use a battery post hole brush and clean them all up real good. I think that will fix that problem.

2. About the S/C, I think it will be fine, I would probably install a new nose seal as it sounds like yours has about had it. They are not hard to replace. Part number 7966 or 7968 Chicago rawhide through www.partsamerica.com , or maybe a source on this forum or web site can get you one as well.

Hope it helps.

Phil