Please help. A/C line removal question.

Eric S.

Hello, I'm new here. I don't own a SC but I am guessing that the my 1990 Cougar (3800 non supercharged) has the same setup as the SC. This seems like the best resource for these types of questions. It is converted to 134a

I started to disconnect my A/C manifold and line assymbaly to get it rebuilt and I have a few questions:

1) Is the accumulator a part of the high pressure/low pressure system? I don't see any way to take out the hose without the accumulator

2) how do I disconnect the lines from the condensor and the lines that go through the firewall? They have little clips on them that I took off and the lines swivel in place but I can't see any way to detach them.

3) Does anyone have an exploded view of the setup?

4) does anyone have any service manual pages in pdf format you could email me?

5) anything special I should no?

Thank you for your help!

Eric

What's wrong with the AC?Is the compressor bad..is a line leaking?You can buy the line disconnect tools at any auto store,usually come in packs of three,not expensive...you will also need new o-rings and compression springs for a good seal.Most auto manuals[Chilton, etc.] don't show AC repair.they refer you to a "qualified technician" because the system is under pressure and will have to be evacuated before being repaired and recharged....good luck with it.
z

The large line from the accumulator connects to the manifold lines via a spring lock, this is the suction line to the compressor . You can get a set of spring lock decouplers from Autozone. The accumulator is close to the firewall and has a clamp holding it to a bracket. You will also need to decouple the high pressure line from the compressor to the condensor(on pass side of radiator).

If you replace the compressor because it shot craps, you will nedd to replace the condensor as well as the liquid fixed orfice line from the condensor to the evaporator. If you are going to spend the big bucks for a new compressor go all the way. Then flush the manifold lines and evap really good.

Good luck,

Jerry

Thanks for your help.

I am only going to replace the line because one of the lines has a leak (I did a dye test on them)

I am a Chevy guy and I have never worked on Ford A/C. The only thing I have ever done to this car is port the heads when my head gasket blew.

Talk about ugly ports. I ahve never seen such ugly ports in a set of heads. What's up with the Z shapped intake runners?:D

Anyway, I'll go get one of those spring lock tools.

There is definetly not a spring lock between the accumulator and the manifold. I had a chance to look up the Ford part number last night and it looks like (at least on the non S/C cars) it is one big unit. What a dumb idea, but I might as well change my accumulator as well.

THanks!

Back