"I need a cure for brake SQUEEEEELING!!!! ARGGHH!!

phils89sc

OK, things have been great on my car since I put on the Bendix pads in place of the Advance Auto trash pads. Up until a couple days ago that is. I now have developed this high piitch squeel in the passenger side front rotor. It only come about when coming to a slow stop, but is VERY ****** Annoying!!! It is so loud it just about hurts my ear drums, so I can imagine what it sounds like to the person I pull up beside who has their windows down!

Everything except the caliper is new!! If anyone can recall, I did the Lincoln Mark VIII upgrade (11.5" rotors, spindles, etc.) to my 89 SC. The brakes work good, but this squeel has to go!!

I was told that dust buildup can cause this! Would it help if I removed the caliper and pads and cleaned them up thoroughly with brake parts cleaner? Could the rotors cause this problem? The rotors are Advance Auto Parts rotor (Wearever) 11.5". Could it be the metal they are made of or something?

Any help would be awesome!!

Thanks

Phil Stocker

Squeeling is almost always caused by high frequency vibrations. Are the pads secure in the brackets? During slow stops you're releasing the pressure slightly such that perhaps the pads are being allowed to move within the calliper causing the squeel. I'm not familiar with how that setup is, but make sure every thing is secure and can't vibrate.

You can also try this. Put caliper grease on the back side of the pads where they sit against the cup and the retaining arm. This is supposed to stop brake squeal. You have to remove the calipers to do this. Be careful not to get grease on the rotor or the pads themselves. If you do, clean it off with brake parts cleaner and you should be OK.

i got same thing

same thing with me, except it's because some of my rotors are slightly warped, i believe, be sure to check that.
-damon

Just put the caliper grease on the back side of the pads, and if that doesn't work, I have used the Normal Autozone Albany Break Pads for 4 years with no problems, no noise and very little dust. I have also used the Performance Friction Carbon Metallics from Autozone and they have been ok, but make a lot more dust.

Performance Friction Carbon Metallics are BAD for DUST. If you like your wheels clean avoid these like the plague.

Back