Clutch question

dvruger

My 92 with 5 speed has a problem in the clutch. When in gear and in motion it shifts just great, but if I come to a light or stop and am not in gear I have to shut off the engine to get it in gear. (real embarasing). The Mechanic I took it to knows fords well, but can't find a problem in the hydrolic clutch linkage, or the cluch its self. The cluch doesnt slip at all. Any help?

Have the flywheel resurfaced lately?

I had the same problem after they rebuilt the tranny and resurfaced the flywheel. The flywheel has to be a certain thickness or the clutch does not release it from the clutch plate.

They make spacers for the flywheel and crank. They come in 10,25, and 50 mills I beleive. Only a couple bucks too. This moves the whole assembly closer to the slave cylinder and then the clutch will release. Hard to believe we are talking paper thin spacing.........

follow up

As far as I know this is the original clutch with no work done to it at all. The car was driven very gently by my mother in law, not treated like a sports car. The car (and clutch) have just turned 100,000 mile on it.
Therefore, I quite sure the flywheel hasn't been resurfaced, and I did have a mechanic bleed the clutch when he was checking it out.

I do have a new development though, it appears the tranny is full of 90w gearlube, not the ATF fluid the specs call for. Can this cause, or contribute to the problem, and will just changing the fluid fix it?

Back