Info. please on ABS/ARC and code readers

G

gregs90sc

Info. please on ABS/ARC and code readers

Hi Everyone,

First of all, let me commend everyone for hosting such a great website - there is always a lot of great information and real sense of "brotherhood/goodwill" on this site.

I own a titanium 90SC/auto. with approx 58000 kms, which I purchased from my father (original owner) about 3 years ago. There are 2 winters on the car. I have read many posts on the ABS system, and have similar problems. I have had the relay replaced, as I had no "power" to the brakes. That solved the problem with power assist, but the ABS light is always on and does not function. I read a post a while back about a code reader available at Can Tire, but does this reader only access data from the EEC computer for engine functions? or can it be used to access data for the ABS as well.

I have not checked sensor resistance yet, as the car is stored for the winter - does anyone know the correct resistance???

I also have a problem with the ARC - the ride control light flashes when it is set on "soft", but stays "ok" when switched to firm. With the car not running , but the ignition "on",ride control set to normal, it sounds as though one of the rear shock actuators is turning off and on. Can the code reader also access any ARC fault codes?? If anyone can help with info here, that would be greatly appreciated...Thanks....Greg Swiercz

Re: Info. please on ABS/ARC and code readers

Greg,

I can't help you with the ABS light issue, but Steve Arbuckle might be able to offer some advice.

The ARC problem sounds like one shock has the valve stuck in the 'Firm' position. I'd start by removing the ARC actuator on that shock (but leave the electrical connector in place) and then turning the system on... the flashing light shouldn't be an issue if the actuator can still turn. If this is the case, then start by spraying the top of the shock with some lubricant (WD40, or Liquid Wrench maybe?). With any kind of luck, you can get the valve opening and closing again.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Listen carefull and see if the ABS pump is running constantly, the relay may be stuck on andif it is running all the time it will finish off that motor for sure. Key on engine off and listen for the motor running under the hood, it should come and then cycle off. If the accumulator tank is really pooched it will also stay on all the time.

The ABS light could be a lack of pressure in your system...but....if it's on all the time, it may just be the fluid level sensor.

I have this on mine right now, the brakes work fine but the light is on. I broke the sensor on the bottom of the reservoir off and it's always on. Make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir, then check the connector on the bottom of the reservoir.

If you've replaced your brown relay, it's not that. Check those things and let me know if that solves the problem. Do the brakes function normally?

I got one of those code readers from CT that says it can read your ABS codes....it didn't work for our ABS system though.

Thanks Sean,

I should have the car out pf storage within a couple of week - I will try your suggestions and remain optimistic......Best Regards....Greg

Thanks Les....I will check for the pump motor running in a couple of weeks when I pull the car from storage..If I inteperet what you are implying, if the pump is running all the time, then it is the accumulator that is pooched.......Thanks Again and Best Regards....Greg

Back